How should I wash up after cooking with raw chicken?

(36 Posts)
HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs Sun 11-May-14 19:39:34

I usually use a mixture of bleach and washing up liquid, and then throw away the sponge scourer afterwards. Is this ok? I grew up in a vegetarian home with a dishwasher so no experience to draw on!

Fourarmsv2 Wed 14-May-14 06:58:42

Sorry - thanks Bunbaker

Fourarmsv2 Wed 14-May-14 06:58:02

"so glass or plastic are what we use."

Nooo. Never use glass as a chopping board. It wrecks your knives. OH is a materials scientist and tells me that glass is harder than steel. Glass chopping boards are a knife's enemy.

Thanks for that - will try and use plastic and keep glass for table protectors!

Somepercentagenotcool Tue 13-May-14 18:37:14

Wondered how

Somepercentagenotcool Tue 13-May-14 18:36:35

mewling wow I did not know that about detergents and lipid cell membranes on bacteria blush I always wondered simply washing your hands with soap got rid of bacteria, even if the water wasn't super hot, and now thanks to the power of mumsnet, I know!

Nocomet Mon 12-May-14 21:07:53

Board and knife go straight into the sink and get water kettle or draing something for the meal poured over them then in the dish washer.

Honestly you are not going to get food poisoning of a bit of chicken unless you get it on something that isn't going to be cooked and is going to be left in a warm place for a fair while.

DinoSnores Mon 12-May-14 20:42:28

The CDC doesn't recommend anything other than soap and hot water to prevent Campylobacter.

www.cdc.gov/nczved/divisions/dfbmd/diseases/campylobacter/#prevent

Coffeeinthepark Mon 12-May-14 20:17:18

I am way out scienced here but what we always do is pour the best part of a kettle full of boiling water over knife and board before washing up. When you do that you can see the remnants info the chicken cook on the board

mawbroon Mon 12-May-14 20:14:02

I try not to use a chopping board when dealing with raw chicken.

If I am eg dicing breast to go into a dish, I hold the breast above the pan and snip with the scissors.

Then it's only my hands and the scissors that need washing.

Ah I see Shelldockley beat me to it!

YouAreTheCentreOfYourOwnUniver Mon 12-May-14 19:55:35

Yes would not be fun!

I can see your point re detergents.

Is disruption of bacterial cells sufficient to destroy bacteria to the point not being a risk? In terms of washing my hands, process is- wash with detergent, rinse and the soapy water goes down the plug hole. Paper towel dry and then sanitise (in work! the "fear" hasnt quite got me at home yet, except with raw chicken grin ) With washing up the bacteria stay in the bowl, in the water, so would detergent have enough of an effect on the bacteria?

All food handling guidelines I have seen have included the obligatory 3 images of hands with bacteria, before washing (grim), after washing (better) after sanitiser (squeaky clean)

MewlingQuim Mon 12-May-14 19:09:42

Yes it is for killing bacteria in cooked food. Temperatures above 70 degrees are not necessary for cleaning.

Detergents emulsify lipids. That's is how soaps break down grease. Bacterial cell membranes are composed of lipids. Detergents disrupt bacterial cells.

That is how washing hands with soapy water kills bacteria. An effective technique used in both healthcare and food handling. Imagine washing your hands in 70 degree water shock

YouAreTheCentreOfYourOwnUniver Sun 11-May-14 21:22:35

Mewling, I can't link you to the source of my evidence, it is a specific training programme for the food industry sector and it would out me as it is specific to the company I work for (company logo etc). It is CIEH certified though and states 70 for min 2 min as heat method of killing non spore bacteria.

I do know though that MY hot water is not 70 therefore MY logic is that is not sufficient heat to kill bacteria.

Can you link me to your evidence that hot soapy water kills bacteria? (Genuinely interested!)

Bunbaker Sun 11-May-14 20:55:11

"so glass or plastic are what we use."

Nooo. Never use glass as a chopping board. It wrecks your knives. OH is a materials scientist and tells me that glass is harder than steel. Glass chopping boards are a knife's enemy.

MewlingQuim Sun 11-May-14 20:52:54

DH would love to read it too. He is an EHO.

MewlingQuim Sun 11-May-14 20:50:43

That washing up doesnt kill campy, I mean.

MewlingQuim Sun 11-May-14 20:48:45

youare

Please link to your peer-reviewed evidence I would love to read it. As would my colleagues.

shelldockley Sun 11-May-14 20:45:09

I have a separate chopping board for raw meat, but I never use it, I always chop chicken breasts with kitchen scissors straight into the pan!

Fourarmsv2 Sun 11-May-14 20:42:10

Where possible I cut out the chopping board stage. Usually this means holding the chicken fillet with a fork and chopping with scissors into the tray the chicken came in.

Scissors & fork go straight into the dishwasher.

DH maintains from his food hygiene courses that wooden boards are more hygienic than glass or plastic. However, they can't go in a dishwasher so glass or plastic are what we use.

YouAreTheCentreOfYourOwnUniver Sun 11-May-14 20:40:32

To kill campylobacter with heat from cooking requires minimum of 70 degrees centigrade for at least 2 min

Hot water from taps is usually around 60 ish so imo hot tap water wouldn't kill it

Soap only cleans, ie removes grease and food debris. Disinfectant is the one that kills germs

RiverTam Sun 11-May-14 20:39:18

I always would rinse the board before sticking it in the sink, but just washed it up as normal. Never had salmonella or anything like it.

MewlingQuim Sun 11-May-14 20:33:29

Soap and hot water will kill campylobacter.

Bunbaker Sun 11-May-14 20:33:11

I tend to scrape any bits into the bin. Rinse the board and knife with hot water, spray with antibacterial spray and rinse, and wash with hot water and washing up liquid as normal.

BridgeOfWhys Sun 11-May-14 20:28:57

I keep all raw chicken stuff in the sink. Once chicken is cooking I wash all the bits in hot water and fairy liquid and then put in dishwasher. I then wash round the sink and sterilise with Milton.

I had campylobacter once and have never been so ill in my life. Took months to recover!

YouAreTheCentreOfYourOwnUniver Sun 11-May-14 20:27:11

You're welcome, Home :-)

HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs Sun 11-May-14 20:22:38

YouAre thank you!! I knew it felt wrong to let all the germs swirl around in the sink together.

YouAreTheCentreOfYourOwnUniver Sun 11-May-14 20:12:57

There can be a certain bacteria, campylobacter jejuni, that is on raw chicken which is not killed at hot tap water temperature or destroyed with washing up liquid

I keep everything that has been in contact with raw chicken separate. While the food is cooking I scrape carefully into the bin, then rinse under the tap. Then wash with washing up liquid on a long handled scrubbing brush and then use a diluted bleach spray to clean again And then put in the dishwasher to wash with the rest of the dishes from the meal.

The scrubbing brush then gets a dose of neat bleach and then has boiling hot water from the kettle to rinse.

It may seem excessive but my job involves me knowing way too much about bacteria and food, I have under fives in the house and they are more susceptible to food poisoning illness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now