Has anyone washed converse?

(10 Posts)
MildredH Sun 11-May-14 12:41:28

Hello!

After a wet, windy holiday at the sea my lovely new-ish converse are looking at deaths door!

Has anyone successfully washed them? Can I bung in machine? Would I do with a load or on their own?

Lastly- I have a white pair I'd also like to resurrect for summer. Should I soak in vanish first?

OwlMother Sun 11-May-14 12:47:15

I've just washed dds purple ones- in a pillow case in the machine. I bleached the laces separately and scrubbed the rubber with Cif. They look a lot better but not like new! Re the white ones, vanish is probably a thought- I've never had white canvas, just white leather as they're much easier to keep clean.

Teaandtoast1 Sun 11-May-14 12:49:35

I've always washed mine in the washer with some towels etc, laces and all. Always came out fine.

jeee Sun 11-May-14 12:50:56

Yes - but I don't wash them until they've passed the point at which I could return them to the shop if they collapse. Even very old, tatty, converses have come out looking pretty good.

EdithWeston Sun 11-May-14 12:55:16

I've washed only one pair - pink ones a few years ago. They faded, but still looked good in a faded beach/surfy kind of way.

WeeClype Sun 11-May-14 12:58:41

I wash my DD's white ones a lot, I put them in on there own and they are fine.

I have washed mine at least half a dozen times now with no ill effects.

I stuffed mine into the sleeves of a long top to wash them, they came out looking lovely. Dried them on the line, pegged by the ankle with laces loose and tongue pulled outwards for air circulation.

MildredH Sun 11-May-14 15:43:19

Lovely- thank you. I have a load of towels to do so perhaps will bung them in with that.

Not worried about them looking pristine but they're my mat leave staple footwear so just want them to be clean again.

Dancingwiththedrummer Thu 15-May-14 14:22:31

Yes I washed my daughters red boots and my yellow pumps (separately of course) and they came out fine. I did take the laces out and bleached them on there own.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now