Gas cooking-only Rayburns: how much do they cost to run?

(12 Posts)
NearlySchoolTime Sun 11-May-14 11:41:27

Hello MN. A colleague is installing a new kitchen and has offered us her old gas Rayburn for free, incredibly kindly. I don't yet know size, age etc. as I haven't seen it. My heart says yes - I grew up in a house with an Aga, and am used to cooking in that way, plus our house is cold at the best of times and we have a fireplace in the dining room just waiting to be converted - but I worry that the gas bill will be astronomical. It would be for cooking only.

Has anyone got any experience of gas Rayburns they can share, and in particular the running costs? I am guessing this will be a fairly old model.

Even if I'm convinced I will need a series of good arguments to convince DH!

lauriebear Sun 11-May-14 12:38:08

hey just an experience here we lived in a rented accommodation with a rayburn from the early 90's. I loved the look and feel of it. We ran it on low for just over a month last summer when we first moved in (so had little else running on gas) as it was the only oven in the house. Personally speaking, it was too expensive for us, talking over a £100 on our first bill. The newer ones are incredibly (for that kind of thing) efficient with thermostat controls etc.. Friends of mine have recommended the solid fuel ones as being much cheaper to run than the old gas ones.If you're looking for arguments for it, it might e worth considering what effect it has in your home - will you not use central heating as a result or dry your clothes around it instead of using the tumble drier. Also, just saying, do you know how you'd move and install it? Might it require a service? Additional costs to consider. I believe retailers can recommend service engineers otherwise I've British Gas have AGA technicians.

NearlySchoolTime Sun 11-May-14 12:53:54

Thanks Laurie - very useful info. Yes, we'd definitely have the heating on less and not use the electric kettle. I do think this one is likely to be from the 90s, though! Do you mind me asking - was that bill for one month or for a quarter?

lauriebear Sun 11-May-14 13:33:02

You're very welcome.

I worked on an energy project and the engineers always said electric water heating is the most expensive way you can use energy smile

The bill was for about 6weeks - it wasn't our preferred tariff - as we had just moved from another property it was the previous tenants supplier so I can't remember who and their rates, sorry. It was an odd time period because we were switching across to our supplier so it was a final bill. HTH
(we ended up cooking everything in a crockpot! Then bought our own house with an electric oven lol)

Takver Sun 11-May-14 13:40:43

Not exactly the same, but when we moved into our house it had a rayburn for cooking + hot water (gas boiler for CH). It cost a bloody fortune, can't remember how much but basically we just turned it off.

Replaced it with solid fuel 70s version which we burn wood in - much cheaper and lovely to live with smile

NearlySchoolTime Sun 11-May-14 13:51:40

Thanks both. Laurie, was yours just for cooking or for cooking and hot water? Takver, solid fuel does sound very appealing!

I'm torn...

lauriebear Sun 11-May-14 14:13:44

just for cooking.

Takver Sun 11-May-14 14:44:50

Can't remember how much ours cost, but we got it off ebay, and it wasn't that much. Basically its exactly the same as the lovely shiny new woodburning rayburns, but rather more chipped and 70s looking grin

Takver Sun 11-May-14 14:45:13

Having said that getting the chimney sorted and lined was expensive

NearlySchoolTime Sun 11-May-14 15:02:54

Ooh, how much, Takver? Was an ordinary fireplace chimney not ok?

Takver Sun 11-May-14 15:09:46

No different to lining a chimney for any sort of woodburner, but the bits are still expensive

NearlySchoolTime Sun 11-May-14 17:41:10

Good point. Food for thought from both of you - thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now