Can you recommend a dyson vacuum cleaner?

(21 Posts)
NannyR Thu 08-May-14 20:38:07

I need to get a new vacuum cleaner and lots of places have a "trade in your old cleaner" type offer on dysons, so thought I might splash out on one. However there seem to be so many different models/prices and I would love some recommendations!

I live in a one bed flat, have no pets or kids, so not a great deal of dirt to clean up. I like the idea of the cordless one but online reviews are split as to whether it's powerful enough to replace a normal mains powered one. It would be great for cleaning the car though.

Or, am I being taken in by advertising hype, and are there other brands that are much better than dysons?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 09-May-14 16:15:30

I'd never recommend one but I would a meile.

Nunyabiz Fri 09-May-14 16:22:32

I really love ours. We have a stain stowaway and a dyson hand held for animal hair. We have 2 cocker spaniels who contribute to the little balls of tumbleweed fur that frequent every corner of our home confused but I find the dyson is brilliant, it's true that it never loses suction. It comes with some very handy attachments. We've had ours for over 5 years and never had a problem... Oh except when I accidentally left the iron next to the hose and melted a hole through the hose blush but it was very easy and inexpensive to replace!

Nunyabiz Fri 09-May-14 16:23:04

Stain? =dyson

Floralnomad Fri 09-May-14 16:23:58

I have a vacuum cleaner collection ,including Dysons. I have the animal cordless for using upstairs in the bedrooms and it's ok but downstairs I use a Morphy Richards upright ( with removable canister) ,it cost about £120-140 and is way better than any Dyson I have owned . I would definitely not buy another Dyson cylinder type as the ones we have had have been crap.

Boltonlass1972 Fri 09-May-14 16:39:17

I have had a Dyson(wouldn't pick up lint) Miele 'cat and dog' (worse than useless) but the £60(it's gone up) basic Vax www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/home-appliances/vacuum-cleaners/upright-vacuum-cleaners/vax-power-3-u88-p3-b-upright-bagless-vacuum-cleaner-grey-orange-12106350-pdt.html?sPageInfo=2_20&sSortInfo=price-asc
I'm not joking, it's the best cleaner I've had in 20 years Marriage ! It leaves tracks on the carpet the suction is so good!
As my dh says, for the 3 years we had the rubbish Miele we could have bought 5 Vax and if it did go wrong we could just buy another. Have had it 2 years. If you want pros and cons let me know x

canutesauntie Fri 09-May-14 22:33:03

In a one bedroom flat with no kids or pets, the dyson rechargeable would be fine, the charge on the "cheaper" ones lasts 15 mins or so. The advantage is that they are lightweight and easy to store, not taking up much room. They are handy for dusting up high & skirting boards etc and you don't have to pay for replacement bags. I thought mine would be an addition to my existing Miele, but in fact I use it all the time and I do have mud and pet hair to contend with.

LittleBearPad Fri 09-May-14 22:50:28

No I wouldn't, useless and heavy. Sebo are good

Crutchlow35 Sat 10-May-14 08:10:55

I wouldn't recommend dyson either. We have a repair shop just along the road from work and it is full of dysons needing repair. Miele is the way to go.

We bought the most expensive Dyson cordless about 6 months ago and haven't used our Miele since. We have a small 3 bed terrace and can get right round on one charge, it's great for getting cat hair off upholstery and it's so much easier than a corded vac. Various attachments too and can get right up to the edges, and cope with hard floors as well as carpet.

BigBirthdayGloom Sun 11-May-14 00:19:33

I love our sebo.

LetItBeMe Sun 11-May-14 08:14:04

I won a spanking new dyson in the mumsnet competition a while back. its the one with a gazilion mini cyclones. its ok but I'd chose my Sebo D2 over it anytime. Also Sebo was cheaper (if you ignore the fact that it was free too!)

WishUponAStar88 Sun 11-May-14 08:16:52

I love my Dyson!! One of the basic models, problems after 5 years with it.

WishUponAStar88 Sun 11-May-14 08:16:52

WishUponAStar88 Sun 11-May-14 08:16:54

Fcukfifa Sun 11-May-14 08:22:33

I have a dyson, cannot remember what it's called (not the upright one). I thought it had gone to shit after a few years but my sister told me to wash the filter in it, which I found out you are supposed to do every 6 months.

As soon as the filter was washed it was like a new Hoover!

Also bought a cordless dyson a few months ago, hate it! You have to place the head of the Hoover on top of anything you want sucked up, otherwise it just pushes it away. Is quite heavy to hold. Just shit.

Bought my sister a vax for Xmas (aren't I nice! grin) it blew up after a year. Don't know how she did it but she took it into a supermarket (I didn't but it from there) and came out with a new Henry! She loves it.

gualsa Sun 11-May-14 08:30:35

Can't wait for my Dyson to die. So bloody noisy it's unreal. I want a Miele or a Nilfisk..

redmapleleaves Mon 12-May-14 23:18:14

I love our Dyson, its not the cordless one though. And what is so great is that because you can see the dirt going in, the teenagers are keen to use it too. DS, 11, begs to use it..... For me it has transformed hoovering, because now I really get a kick out of watching the dirt go in. (Sad but true)

Bunbaker Mon 12-May-14 23:28:40

I use an independent vacuum cleaner company for servicing and they say that they repair more Dysons than any other brand. I realise that this is because a lot of people own Dyson cleaners, but they also don't rate them as a brand.

I have just had a look at Which and they recommend Bosch and Miele.

Mini05 Mon 12-May-14 23:50:57

I've got the DC41 animal, it's great at picking up the dust! Really didn't think my house was that dusty. Thing that gets on my nerves is the cord! So now I really want the new handheld £3?? As there so light and easy to move around.

4littleones Tue 13-May-14 12:12:29

we have a Dyson ball and have had it about 7 years now and it's still perfect. We also have a handheld cordless dyson. I wouldn't say it would do the whole flat BUT mine is old (like when they first came out) so the charge is never going to last as long. The newer ones are probably a million times better.

We also now own a roomba and I am actually in love with it! It's a robot hoover - hoovers by itself. never had such have clean floors!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now