Do you keep your spare/ guest bed made?

(16 Posts)
Augustwedding Thu 08-May-14 12:34:37

Just wondering really!

Just finishing decorating our 2 spare rms ( no children yet!) and wondered if people keep the beds in Thier spare rooms made, even when no one using them?

Yes, and then covered with a quilt so the sheets etc don't get dusty. I think it looks messy with an unmade bed and the room's small enough that it's really obvious.

Augustwedding Thu 08-May-14 12:49:43

That's what I thought! I'll keep them made then! Thanks!

AdoraBell Thu 08-May-14 13:09:37

I also keep them made, makes the room look more pleasant.

Forago Thu 08-May-14 13:14:15

yes because looks better and for 2 other reasons:

one you will find when you have a few kids that there is often some musical beds going on overnight and sometimes a poot adult that has to get up early might leave them all to it and take refuge in the spare room.

2. in my house the spare room is known as "the drunk tank" as DP goes in there when necessary so I am not tortured by snoring, fumes and lack of sleep - so ours gets fairly regular use.

I do, we have PIL or friends to stay once every couple of months.
Spare bed is always made up, though gets dusty if left for too long so I only tend to clean the room and change the bedding the day before or the day of someone staying over. I don't keep the bedding freshly changed all the time though as it seems like such a waste of washing and drying (difficult to dry double sheets & covers indoors & outdoors v. hit and miss!)
For example, FIL stayed with us one night last week - the room hadn't been hoovered or dusted or sheets changed since last time someone stayed (probably 2 months ago) but did it all fresh the day he arrived, then will leave it again until someone else is coming.

Icelollycraving Thu 08-May-14 21:31:56

Yes. Sadly I end up using a lot with ds when he won't settle & dh is cosied up in our bed.

whatchatalkinboutwillis Thu 08-May-14 21:39:49

don't have a spare room but if I did I'd probably keep the beds made, to much of a faff to make them up every time someone stays overnight and looks a bit messy

Yes, when we had a spare room. Now DDs have a room each, our spare bed is the playroom bed-sofa. I do keep the pillows and duvet for it ready with clean duvet-cover/pillow cases on, stored in a big ikea box so it's really quick to make up when needed.

PatriciaHolm Thu 08-May-14 21:48:50

Yes; we have two as well, one with a double and one with bunks, and they are made up though that's only a case of a duvet on them! Kids tend to sleep in the bunks at weekends.

PinkSquash Thu 08-May-14 22:25:17

Yes, I have to have it made, an unmade bed makes me very twitchy.

eurochick Thu 08-May-14 22:27:51

Yes, it looks rubbish unmade, and it gets used very frequently by houseguests.

YeGodsAndLittleFishes Thu 08-May-14 22:36:28

When i had a spare room, I put clean, ironed duvet cover on, and pillow cases on and put them away in a big drawer for guests 'for best' and had old ones on for emergency use. Saves them getting full of cat hair (or worse).

NormHonal Thu 08-May-14 22:45:41

Mostly yes because:

A) yes, the musical beds thing with children. It helps to be prepared.
B) it's 95% of the time my parents who come to stay, so I only tend to wash the bedding after every other visit (they only stay for 1-2 nights at a time) [domestic slattern emoticon]

envy at two spare rooms.

Catsmamma Thu 08-May-14 22:57:49

Mostly ours is made up, but with a big throw over it, as the cats like to sneak in for a snooze.

Also we have musical beds on occasion, if dh is very snorey he'll go down there.

If I have respectable folks coming then the beds are always fresh, if it is any studenty oik friends of dd or ds1 then I am a little less fastidious.

So last person to sleep in there was one of ds1's chums so it's still made, but if I have respectable folks coming then it'll be made fresh, if it is any studenty oik friends of dd or ds1 then I am a little less fastidious....and they may have to share with one of the cats...they will sleep with anyone.

SixImpossible Thu 08-May-14 23:11:17

Mum doesn't keep the beds made up in our old rooms, so whenever we come to stay we have to make all the beds. I don't get why she doesn't. If I know we'll be coming again soon I leave the beds made up (but neat), otherwise I strip them when we leave. I know mum gets the cleaner to help with the bedding laundry, so why doesn't she ask her to make the beds up again, rather than folding all the bedding away?

As we usually only come for one or two nights it's just not worth the hassle of making and stripping four beds, so I've taken to bringing our sleeping bags instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now