Ikea Hemnes Daybed for 14 yr old's everyday use ?

(18 Posts)
Booboo15 Thu 08-May-14 10:24:40

Hello smile,

I have visited mumsnet a number of times for advice but this is my first ever thread !
My 14 yr dd is pestering for the ikea Hemnes daybed, it looks fab but rather expensive. My concern is that she is talking of pulling it out to full size probably every evening - is it sturdy / strong enough for that kind of use ?
I have been watching ebay and quite a few have minor damage - which concerns me. I really don't mind getting her one but I have to be sure it will last - particularly if we get a new one.
At 14 she still launches herself on our bed from the doorway - it sounds fantastic in the kitchen directly below..grin

Are they flimsy ?

many thanks

Boo x

SuperFox Thu 08-May-14 22:59:34

They are quite sturdy but the bit under the mattresses is just wooden slats so wouldn't stand up to being jumped on much. You can choose what size mattress to get but it won't be much of a daybed with two big thick mattresses stacked up on it as a single and the thin foam ones squish quick so may need changed often, maybe she would be better with one of those beds that has a pull out roll bed underneath for guests? I will say the daybed has most bodacious storage drawers though and looks very lovely grin

LeonardBobby Thu 08-May-14 23:01:54

I used one of these for a few years and it's still in fairly good condition, but I just kept it pulled out to full size most of the time. When you push it back in, you have to be careful to line up the slats supporting the mattress. If you just shove, screws can shear out of the wood (did this once and was always careful after).

I think your daughter might get sick of pulling it out / putting it away quickly though. The problem is, if you get a double mattress for it, you can't really put the bed back to single size, and if you get 2 single mattresses like I did, the 2nd mattress was in the way when the bed was in single mode.

Booboo15 Thu 08-May-14 23:24:44

Thanks for both replies - your answers really help !

It would be 2 mattresses, and not too thin - we have 2 ikea sultan hogbo mattresses on bunkbeds at the minute and will probably use them (although at 17cm depth I wonder if too big when stacked).

I have suggested the other daybed bed options, but no her teenage hormones are screaming for this one ! her room is not huge and she would like the luxury of sleeping on a big bed but the convenience of space to prance round her bedroom (god love her grin when not in use).

I just wonder if she does tire of putting it back will it be comfy to sleep on as a single.

thanks for your input smile

Boo x

SuperFox Thu 08-May-14 23:48:00

I had ours in nursery and so have slept on it as single often - very comfy (or just too tired to notice otherwise)

have4goneinsane Sat 10-May-14 03:05:43

we have one in DD's(7) room. As a single it is pretty sturdy (she is a furniture destroyer) and we just stack the mattresses on top of each other. Pulling it out to a double you have to be careful that it doesn't misalign or pull out too far as then the whole thing can collapse. So not great for jumping around or launching yourself at.

moving it (either around a room, or moving house) is a complete nightmare. It doesn't move happily as a complete unit, but once you take the pull-out section out the remaining frame is very very flimsy - ours was badly damaged in our house move and we had to repair it.

Would she be better with a futon that she could just flatten out each night?

Booboo15 Sat 10-May-14 09:39:37

Thanks for replies !

I think the deal would have to be that it was used as a double only when friends sleep, and that we set it up as a double. It is good to know that it is comfy as a single smile.

I will look into the futon possibility - she is completely smitten with the ikea daybed though (but it is worth a look !).

Kaffiene Sat 10-May-14 18:09:41

I know a lot of people who store the extra mattress down the back of the bed ie between bed and wall. Obvs only works if she has the bed next to the wall. I would say its a big faff to pull out every day but them I am not 14 ;)

superram Sat 10-May-14 21:36:22

Just be aware it is king sized when pulled out. It takes up a lot of room.
It isn't designed to be pulled out and put away everyday.
Your daughter will get fed up.

littlegreengloworm Sat 10-May-14 21:39:14

They at gorgeous but they are an occasional use piece of furniture IMO but I don't blame her for wanting one grin

AuditAngel Sat 10-May-14 21:51:46

I also love the look of this bed, but we bought a pine bed with a separate truckle bed that fits beneath, that when pulled out and the legs up sets as a double bed. We liked it so much we bought a second one for the spare room.

MrsC1966 Sat 10-May-14 22:06:47

My dd (12) has had hers for the last 6 years. Super strong but you can't bounce on it hmm The drawers are humongous and it pulls out easily to become a double as she has a laminate floor in her room. I guess with carpet it would be pretty hard. It is pretty comfy with the two mattresses but I wouldn't be happy with her being on just 1 all the time so it's only pulled out when friends sleep over. I think it's been a very practical, nice looking bed and good value for money.

Booboo15 Sat 10-May-14 23:42:14

Thank you all for your replies - that's fab !

I view it as an occasional double / king size bed, but it will have to be in use all the time as a single. It will be on carpet so harder to pull out, and I will insist that we do it.

Your answers have given me 'food for thought' and I am very grateful !

BigBirthdayGloom Sun 11-May-14 00:14:26

We have just sold ours as our children were desperate for cabin beds and I miss it loads. Ds used it as his bed for a while but he's only five so not a heavy user (literally!). I miss it as an occasional guest bed and I really miss the drawers, which are enormous!

KCAMum Sun 11-May-14 00:29:23

Both my girls (13 and 9) have these beds and love them! They usually have them as single, but like the luxury of a double occasionally! When friends stay over they fit three of them in it quite comfortably so is big. Would also agree that pulling it out and in needs a bit of care, so I always make sure I am on hand to help! Great big drawers too are fab!

Vintagecakeisstillnice Mon 12-May-14 07:24:53

No help here, but friend had one of these as DSD bed for EOW visit and we used it once or twice. (With DSD's permission) best sleep ever!

Once we sort spare room out we're getting one, the space of a single bed on a day to day basis, with the option of a double.

I do recall that the setting up was a PITA, though for us drink was involved. . .

cloutiedumpling Tue 13-May-14 20:13:13

DH says that it was a nightmare to build. He wishes that we'd paid Ikea to deliver and assemble it.

The slats aren't very strong. We've had several broken slats, although I suspect the kids were jumping up and down on the bed.

Overall though I liked the bed.

Coumarin Sat 17-May-14 17:25:46

It's really nice and I can see why she wants it so much. I'd have loved that bed when I was that age.

I can't imagine she's pull it out and out it back every night but if that's not what she's suggesting then I'd consider it. The practical side of having space to perform amazing pop videos and accept oscars move around at that age as well as the luxury of a big bed either for herself or sleepovers is great.

I'd put a firm ban on launching from across the room though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now