Why are my clothes stretching after wash?

(9 Posts)
Jemster Mon 05-May-14 22:23:38

I have a few summer tops bought last year that have stretched since washing making them look out of shape and too big for me. I know I haven't lost weight, if anything I've put it on so why do they look so big? I've washed them as per label on 40 degree wash. The material is viscose & polyester.

do you have a high spin speed on your machine? Are you washing them on a cotton wash rather than a synthetics wash? (I think the synthetics wash is a gentler wash with slower spin speed)

napkin Tue 06-May-14 10:46:19

Is it a Bosch washing machine by any chance?

Jemster Fri 09-May-14 16:30:58

We do have a high spin but it seems to do that on both the cotton & synthetic settings. The synthetic 'delicates' cycle spins for an age and that's the setting I use most. I've just found some more items that have stretched and just hang off me now! I wish I could find the manual as this is ruining all my clothes!
It is a hotpoint.

Sandthorn Fri 09-May-14 19:20:15

Are they knits? Have they been hanging all winter? Knit fabrics are really much better stored in drawers, or they stretch under their own weight.

Jemster Sat 10-May-14 06:24:59

No not knits. It's mainly tops. The materials seem to be viscose & polyester. It's very annoying as some of them were new last summer and now they look awful.

Nanny0gg Sat 10-May-14 11:38:36

Are you hanging them to dry? Does sound like the spin is too vigorous.

Try washing in a nylon washbag or pillowcase- it will keep them 'together' so to speak.

libran1962 Mon 16-Jun-14 22:21:53

i have bought a bosch washing machine about 2 months ago and so many of my clothes, particularly cotton t shirt material things have stretched and are mishapen, it was more than i could afford really and my clothes are baggy and im not confident putting them to wash anymore. did u have the same problem? thanku��

libran1962 Mon 16-Jun-14 22:24:26

that question was particularly for Napkin as she mentioned Bosch��

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now