Has anyone used a professional declutterer?

(13 Posts)
LizzieMint Mon 05-May-14 08:41:11

I've got to start decluttering in preparation for putting the house on the market. I don't have a problem with chucking stuff out, my problem is lack of time. I have 2 (school-length) days a week to myself to get it done. I find it impossible to do with the children around because they are always pulling out whatever I've put aside and deciding they desperately want to keep it! So I was wondering about getting someone in to help to speed up the process - is it worth the money?

4littleones Mon 05-May-14 09:50:14

it's never appealed to me because surely they still have to get you to check every item to ask if you want to keep or chuck etc?

I've been massively decluttering my house and don't really get child free time to do it.

What I do is get the bin, recycling, and a big bag for charity and a box for stuff to sell. its then just a matter of going through it all as quick as possible into the right section/bag.

I find as for having kids around. I do boring stuff like the kitchen stuff when they are around so they don't worry about what I'm chucking and then do their rooms when they are out.

What area are you?

eurochick Mon 05-May-14 09:51:31

I don't see how it could work. How are they going to know whether you need to keep something or not?

FaceDirectionOfTravel Mon 05-May-14 09:55:20

I did use one this week, because I am long term ill. I got more done than I would have alone, but that is because I find it horribly hard to throw/give things away and having a bit of non judgemental company helped. It wasn't worth the money, overall.

LizzieMint Mon 05-May-14 10:46:22

I suppose I'm thinking more along the lines of, we'd sort out a room together (I really am not bothered about chucking stuff, so could quite happily give very broad guidelines rather than inspect everything), then they could deal with the actual disposal of stuff when I'm back on doing the school run. So we'd presumably get through twice as much, and they'd take stuff to the dump/charity shop as well.

LizzieMint Mon 05-May-14 10:46:56

Face, do you mind me asking how much yours charged, and why you felt it wasn't worth it?

BorisJohnsonsHairdresser Mon 05-May-14 10:50:58

yes, she was ace and worth every penny. If you are in the SE I can give you her details.

LizzieMint Mon 05-May-14 11:45:17

No, in SW.

FaceDirectionOfTravel Mon 05-May-14 12:29:20

Have sent you a PM. smile

MyLifePack Fri 09-May-14 16:30:27

Hi Pop over and have a look at APDOuk The Association of Professional Declutterers and Organisers www.apdo-uk.co.uk/declutterers.php if you are looking for help from a professional declutterer. Members of the Association are fully insured and they can work to a budget and timescale with you and help you get the task done efficiently and the least cost.

erin99 Fri 09-May-14 19:58:55

I haven't, and I'm not sure how much they cost, but I wonder if a skip (and a cash donation to charity if you feel the need) would be a more efficient solution.

chocolatespiders Fri 09-May-14 20:21:23

I would love this if they arrived in an unmarked vehicle smile

FaceDirectionOfTravel Fri 09-May-14 23:20:53

Mine did, arrive in an unmarked vehicle, that is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now