Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

Mini vented tumble drier question- are those hoses with condensation boxes any good? Can driers be put on casters to move them around easily?

(12 Posts)
miramar Wed 30-Apr-14 13:37:42

I have a mini vented drier. There's no room for one to be fitted-in in the kitchen. My options are to put it in the garage, a cupboard (and wheel it pot to be used) or in a bedroom (which is carpeted). I know it can't sit on carpet. I'm looking at hoses online and some come with condenser boxes attached. Any thoughts?

Koothrapanties Wed 30-Apr-14 13:43:52

Ime they are crap. We ended up with wet walls. Half way through the tumble it would lose its effectiveness and just pump out the steam.

Just wondering, why can't you put a tumble drier on carpet?

miramar Wed 30-Apr-14 14:35:18

I think the tumble drier needs more air flow below it than a carpet would allow. A quick Google showed an old thread where PigletJohn suggested putting the tumble drier on plywood.

I'd prefer to have the drier in the house than in the garage, so I'll need a hose anyway. If I keep it in a cupboard I'd need an easy way to get it in and out, so was thinking about castors or maybe a wheeled trolley.

That's disappointing that your condenser didn't help. Do you remember the brand you used?

Koothrapanties Wed 30-Apr-14 14:55:48

I know I bought it from comet and at the time it was the only one they sold. Sorry if that's not very helpful!

Jux Wed 30-Apr-14 15:39:21

Our drier is in a sort of box room which was full of books and other stuff. If we wanted to use the drier we had to open the window and poke the end of the hose out as otherwise everything got damp. DH bought a condenser box and it has made it much better. We don't use the drier much any more anyway, though.

miramar Wed 30-Apr-14 21:33:26

Mixed experiences then. Anyone else?

PigletJohn Thu 01-May-14 00:18:18

you can get a "mobility trolley" for appliances. They work like a set of four casters on a metal frame that adjusts to suit the bottom of the appliance. They are really intended for pulling out the appliance for cleaning or repair, more than cruising round your home. Luckily driers are very light so not too difficult. The wheels are small and will sink into carpet. Places like Currys sell them but they are often cheaper on fleabay. Big things like fridge freezers tend to fall off the trolley when pushed. The appliance manufacturer may offer a purpose-designed set of wheels that fit precisely. You can also stack a drier on top of a washer, Bosch make a standard kit and I expect there are others.

If it is your own home, consider a core drill from a tool hire shop, it will make a neat round hole in a wall for a vent hose.

miramar Thu 01-May-14 00:48:41

Thanks PigletJohn. It's a hotpoint v3d00 3kg drier and seems to be an old model with few spares still available. I couldn't find wheels, but maybe genetic ones or the appliance trolley would work.

Do you have an opinion on the hoses for vented driers with condensers attached? Unfortunately there's no room for it in the kitchen (which was recently fitted by the previous owners) other than keeping it in a cupboard near the kitchen and wheeling it out to be used, or putting it in a bedroom.

miramar Thu 01-May-14 00:49:36

generic ones! Autocorrect!

PigletJohn Thu 01-May-14 00:54:52

I don't believe a condenser box can be much good. I much prefer a hose that vents through an external wall.

Some people poke the hoses through windows, but unless it is unusually long, I fear the steam might blow back into the room.

RuddyDuck Fri 02-May-14 04:37:05

We used to keep our tumble dryer in the garage, using a condenser box. Seemed to work ok, but garage had lots of natural ventilation. I don't think I'd have been as confident about using a box inside the house.

We now have a condenser dryer which we keep in our utility room. It's brilliant.

chocolatespiders Fri 02-May-14 07:31:55

I heard that condenser driers take longest to dry the clothes.
I bought a vented drier last year and love it for taking clothes off the line and finishing off. never put clothes straight from machine in it.
I poke hose out of the back door.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now