Ignition light on hob firing non-stop

(10 Posts)
Alchemist Tue 29-Apr-14 12:20:26

Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop it please?!

I have turned it off but would like to resolve it.

Thanks thanks

PigletJohn Tue 29-Apr-14 12:49:51

if you have a press-button to make it spark, there is a chance it has got sticky or jammed in with food spillage, otherwise, you need a mender.

Catsmamma Tue 29-Apr-14 12:51:22

has the sparky pokey bit got bent so it is touching something?

very technical terms there....sorry

ToFollowJulie Tue 29-Apr-14 12:53:32

That happened to me once when I got too much water under the button when I was cleaning. You could try lifting the button off and wiping underneath.

Germgirl Tue 29-Apr-14 13:15:06

Ours did this when I got it too wet. Take the button off & waft a hair dryer in the general direction. Don't get it too hot though.
It will dry out & stop in a few hours hopefully.

MN216 Tue 29-Apr-14 14:56:03

I have the opposite (sort of) problem - cooked Nigella's ham in coke at the weekend and it boiled over and now my wok burner ring won't light. Gas is flowing and ignition is working - I know this because if I press for long enough I do sort of set fire to something (may be gas, may be coke, may be mix of both....) on one side of the ring but only for as long as I keep pressing the ignition. Do I need a professional hob clean or a Neff engineer visit? At least the ham was good.....

PigletJohn Tue 29-Apr-14 15:53:03

MN216

have you tried lifting off the burner and washing it? Sounds to me like the holes are clogged.

MN216 Tue 29-Apr-14 17:51:13

Have dishwashed it, soaked it and scrubbed it... oh dear. Am wondering if I keep pressing the ignition for long enough, whether the fire that does start (see my post above) will burn off the obstruction....

PigletJohn Tue 29-Apr-14 18:42:14

maybe the boiled-over actually got into the jet which is underneath the removable burner? It is possible to unscrew and clean them, but it is a gas part so would need a qualified gas fitter

(unless the instruction book tells the householder how to clean them)

MN216 Tue 29-Apr-14 19:14:00

Thanks, think I am going to have to get an engineer round....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now