Christening robe gone yellow :(

(8 Posts)
Looby4 Tue 22-Apr-14 19:16:59

I have promised my SIL the christening gown from my side of the family which has seen more than 20 babies christened in it, for her baby's christening in two weeks.
When I took it out of storage today (last nephew was 6 years ago) it has gone yellow sad
Does anyone know how I can get it white again without risking damage? It is cotton mainly, with lace on the bodice and around the neck.
Can be washed at 40 degrees wool cycle.

There is also milk yellow stain around the chin which I don't remember although not a surprise given that it's had good wear!

Any tips would be great - I have in the house:
Ace bleach
Glow White
Normal toilet bleach

What do you think?

spinnergeologist Tue 22-Apr-14 19:42:49

my great grandma told me to leave whites out to freeze overnight in winter and let them defrost in bright winter sun. This has worked for me. Not sure if you would get the same effect dampening then putting in the freezer and allowing to defrost in the sunshine...

ZingHasAHotCrossBunInTheOven Tue 22-Apr-14 20:03:48

not normal bleach, it could destroy the fabric, make it even more yellow or even a blue-ish tinge <shudders>

I don't know what's best, I think I'd try Vanish Oxi or Dylon (I think they have a product for this problem)

and thd freezing method by pp sounds safe and effective so try that first perhaps.

good luck

ZingHasAHotCrossBunInTheOven Tue 22-Apr-14 20:04:35

to protect the lace from tearing put it in a duvet cover

ZingHasAHotCrossBunInTheOven Tue 22-Apr-14 20:05:26

....before washing in the machine.

(sorry, keep posting too early!)

AnneEyhtMeyer Tue 22-Apr-14 20:06:05

I used the Dylon whitener for mine, which hadn't been used in decades, and it worked beautifully.

BuzzardBird Tue 22-Apr-14 20:07:58

Line drying is really good for getting things white again. Maybe put some net curtain whitener in the wash with them or those Dr Glow sachets?
Do not store white items in anything plastic, the oil in the plastic stains the item. Always store in tissue or pillow cases.

Looby4 Thu 24-Apr-14 14:20:08

Thanks all.
I tried the Dylon whitener and it has worked brilliantly. Thanks BuzzardBird for the tip on plastic, I didn't know that! ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now