Never had to buy a vacuum cleaner before and I'm totally lost

(13 Posts)
JumpingJackSprat Sun 20-Apr-14 07:26:18

Last time we got one my dp just went in the shop and picked it off the shelf. Ended up with a crap one. Just wondering if anyone can recommend a compact cleaner preferably with allergy filter thing for less than £100?

januaryJump Sun 20-Apr-14 16:15:43

I recommend Henry, it seems relatively compact to me but I don't know about the allergy filter. It's brilliant however and about £95. I used to use bagless but the Henry bags are cheap at 10 for £5, we've been using it solidly for a month as whole house except kitchen and bathroom is carpeted and we have a toddler. No need to change bag yet and I've read they last at least a couple of months with regular use.

It's great regardless of budget, but I think it's definitely the best vac under £100. Miele are also very good and I think they have allergy filters or styles with, but more costly.

prettymess Sun 20-Apr-14 16:16:15

Get a Miele!

PigletJohn Sun 20-Apr-14 16:20:35

The best ones are mostly (but not exclusively) by Miele, and much more expensive.

However quite a good one in the Which tests is the Bosch BSGL3126GB Pro Energy which you may be able to get at about £90. It scored max points for brand reliability and allergy retention, and some other features. It is not a "latest model" which may be why the price is low.

Henry and Hetty are cheaper and do not score so high, but are durable.

We have this one. Only a smidge over £100 and it's brilliant, WAAAAY better than the Henry he replaced.

EyelinerQueen Sun 20-Apr-14 16:29:23

Pay a bit more and get a Miele.

Buying a cheap hoover is false economy - they just don't perform like the better ones do.

I have the Miele Cat and Dog and it is incredible. I used to dread doing the hoovering. Now it's an actual pleasure.

PigletJohn Sun 20-Apr-14 16:29:43
PigletJohn Sun 20-Apr-14 16:34:50

if you can get that Miele 2111 at a similar price to the Bosch, it should be a bit better. In Which tests, the Miele 2111 scored 75% and the Bosch 74%, so not much in it.

It is widely considered that Miele vacs are the best you can get (if you can afford it).

JumpingJackSprat Sun 20-Apr-14 20:41:35

Thanks everyone - are bag ones generally better than bagless?

PigletJohn Sun 20-Apr-14 21:08:36

Miele, who are widely thought to make the best, say they have experimented with bagless but never been able to make them as good as their bagged.

The more modern, synthetic bags, which are white or silver, are better than the old brown paper bags.

When the bag is full (which takes a long time) to pull a tab to seal the bag, and are not exposed to clouds of dust when you put it in the bin.

EyelinerQueen Sun 20-Apr-14 22:55:19

Mine is bagged and it's no problem at all. I'm fact it's actually easier than tipping out the contents of my old cylinder vacuum used to be.

As PigletJohn says the bags are much easier to use nowadays. You can get them on Amazon (around £15 for 10 bags) and they last for ages. There's also a handy gauge on the front of the Cat and Dog that shows how full the bag is.

MillyMollyMama Sun 20-Apr-14 23:41:14

Miele, Miele, Miele. No contest!

JumpingJackSprat Mon 21-Apr-14 08:21:59

Excellent Thanks everyone ill have a good look around and see if I can stretch the budget a little further.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now