If you ran out of washing powder ..

(29 Posts)

... what would you use?
Dishwasher tablets ... washing up liquid ... shampoo ... possibly a scraping of had wash powder?
We live a long way from any shop and I have to wash every day ....

mcdog Sun 20-Apr-14 06:39:14

To go in a machine or to hand wash? Have you got fabric softener?

insancerre Sun 20-Apr-14 07:20:23

I would either not wash and wear clothes again
or hand wash in sink with washing up liquid, rinse with cold water and put through machine with fabric conditioner

charlieandlola Sun 20-Apr-14 07:42:11

I would wait until the shops are open tomorrow and buy some washing powder .

whatcolour Sun 20-Apr-14 07:50:26

I would add some hand wash powder to machine without a second thought!

ihaveadirtydog Sun 20-Apr-14 07:50:37

Use the scraping of hand wash powder and a hot wash- there's probably enough residue in the machine to create bubbles!

deepinthewoods Sun 20-Apr-14 07:51:16

Are the shops closed today? My local ASDA is open 24/7 except christmas and New Year.

supportworker Sun 20-Apr-14 07:52:02

Go to the garage, buy some washing powder or
blag some off the neighbours.

RudyMentary Sun 20-Apr-14 07:55:34

I would just run it without any

If they're not too dirty (worn, rather than dirty) I'd just do a hot wash with the scraping of powder.

have you got bicarb?

Will try a v little hand wash .. Had heard it can froth and damage machine ... We live a v long drive from shops and I care for an incontinent elderly relative ... 2 loads a day and no dryer! ... Actually, as you say, just hot water would probably do, with maybe some vinegar - supposed to be good for making things smell fresher.

CrispyHedgeHog Sun 20-Apr-14 08:22:45

I've used a squirt of washing up liquid before.. beware though.. a little bit goes a long way otherwise you'll be having a foam party in your kitchen grin

MooMa42o Sun 20-Apr-14 08:23:02

My Dh did the washing the other day & accidentally put in a dishwasher tablet instead of the washing tablet & although i did re wash it all, it smelt & looked clean, not ideal but i would say better than unwashed. hth smile

namelessposter Sun 20-Apr-14 08:23:33

Run it without any. Normally tons of residual powder in the machine anyway.

deepinthewoods Sun 20-Apr-14 08:28:05

Tons of residual powder in the machine? Sounds like a dirty machine. My machine is squeaky clean and clothes have no residue of powder when hey come out. I'm not sure I would want to be wearing clothes with all that residue you describe.

CheesyBadger Sun 20-Apr-14 08:30:26

Local guy who ran the launderette said it is the action of the machine which gets the clothes clean and the powder is just a degreaser. If not filthy, go with nothing and see

No grease involved ... Will run with nothing. Thanks for all the ideas. (Now can you stop it raining so that I can dry it???)

Cherylemma76 Sun 20-Apr-14 10:52:29

Is there a corner shop near?

Nearest shop is 4 miles away and wouldn't open on Easter Sunday. But I have done the washing in water.

fidelineish Sun 20-Apr-14 14:14:49

Any stain remover at all? Tiny bit of that with a small spot of washing up liquid.

fidelineish Sun 20-Apr-14 14:15:16

Oh too late smile

noisytoys Mon 21-Apr-14 08:20:55

I have an eco egg that isn't used all the time but is perfect for occasions like this smile

justtrunknotree Mon 21-Apr-14 08:23:06

I often do a wash with no powder at all as the action of the machine cleans the clothes. It works fine for every day clothes.

An eco egg is the answer! I could probably use it for most washes anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now