Smelly washing machine

(16 Posts)
Cherylemma76 Thu 10-Apr-14 19:57:15

Hope someone can help, washing machine is brilliant, always does a good job BUT it's now starting to smell, luckily doesnt affect the clothes but its awful & if it doesn't get sorted I'm worried it may start to make them smell. Used Dr Bekkham a few times & its helped for about 3-4 washes then the smell is back. Does anyone have any idea what else I could use. Thanks.

Thatsnotmyfigure Thu 10-Apr-14 23:10:02

I have the same and wonder if there's a filter to clean?! Have you tried running a 100 degree cycle empty with some lemon juice or vinegar? This will freshen it up

piscivorous Thu 10-Apr-14 23:19:54

I was told this is more likely to happen if you use washing liquid, if you are try switching to powder for a while.
Leave the door open between uses.
Run a maintenance wash now and again (I think it may be supposed to be once a week) on top temperature with some soda crystals in.

Cataline Thu 10-Apr-14 23:28:26

Boil wash with some old towels or sheets plus a tub of bicarbonate of soda and a mug of vinegar (malt works fine!)
You could also pull out the drawer and give it a good soak in bleach or Milton then scrub it with an old toothbrush. You could also check and scrub the seal around the door as they can get clogged with scummy water too. Machines do tend to smell after a while-especially if you use liquids.

Cherylemma76 Fri 11-Apr-14 09:25:30

the boil wash doesn't work as water leaks through the drawer causing it to flood everywhere. Did leave the door open but smell didn't go!

have you taken the drawer out and washed it? Also clean out the bit the drawer fits into - I use bleach spray and an old toothbrush to scrub the wee holes in the roof as they get clogged up with mould/gunk. Clean out the filter, clean round the rubber seal at the door. After you do all that run a hot wash with soda crystals in the drawer and drum.

sounds like your drawer is clogged up in some way if the water is not flowing through it properly - get it out and get it cleaned.

Cherylemma76 Fri 11-Apr-14 10:08:18

Yes I've tried it, works fine on all other temperatures it's just that. Think I'll have to try it again & see if it works.

Cherylemma76 Fri 11-Apr-14 14:03:06

thanks everyone for your help, cleaned drawer with washing liquid using a toothbrus, 2 cups of soda crystals & finally no smell as of yet! Even the drawer didn't leak :-)

Cherylemma76 Fri 11-Apr-14 14:03:25

thanks everyone for your help, cleaned drawer with washing liquid using a toothbrus, 2 cups of soda crystals & finally no smell as of yet! Even the drawer didn't leak :-)

newlark Fri 11-Apr-14 15:49:28

Can I jump on with a related query - my washing maching doesn't smell when it isn't in use but when it is doing a wash there is an awful rotten eggs/drain-like smell - possibly coming from the sink immediately next to it (I presume they go into the same drain). It is so bad I can't put a wash on if there are visitors coming as the kitchen smells sad. Any suggestions?

Cherylemma76 Fri 11-Apr-14 16:58:24

I've had that problem before, poured whole bottle of bleach down & left it for a few hours then ran with boiling water (a bit of cold in so doesn't damage ths pipes) & after it was fine.

newlark Fri 11-Apr-14 18:03:32

Will try that - thanks. We've done a maintenance wash on the machine fairly recently so assume it is drain related but only when the machine is running...

GeoffLeopard Sun 13-Apr-14 21:56:41

I had that and a dang good clean of the drawer & seals worked. Also keeping the door open when it's not in use helped.

FlatCapAndAWhippet Wed 16-Apr-14 06:18:42

I had an awful eggy drain smell coming from my kitchen sink when using the washer. The drawer and filter in the machine were clean so I used mr muscle drain unblocker down the kitchen sink which I left over night so that it really cleaned the pipes and converted to using powder only in the washer as advised by a plumber. Since converting to powder the smell has completely gone.

Busymumto3dc Wed 30-Apr-14 11:39:14

I sometimes get the eggy smell when the washer is on or maybe I only sometimes notice in

Is liquid bad to use then? Why is powder better?

I bought white vinegar to do a maintenance wash, jow much do I use and where should I put it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now