Bosch or hotpoint washing machine

(43 Posts)
chocolatespiders Thu 10-Apr-14 07:54:13

My zanussi is stopping mid cycle and leaking underneath- only 3 years old I could cry.
Really don't want another zanussi.
Looking at Bosch or hotpoint but don't know which to go for.
Myself and 2 children in the house probably do 4-5 loads a week.
Would like high spin as struggles to dry clothes in the winter.
Thanks for an advice

wonkylegs Thu 10-Apr-14 08:10:25

I have a Bosch & it's brilliant. Scarily quiet (I thought it wasn't working first time I used it) & washes really well. Only problem we've ever had with it was when a penny got stuck in the filter but thanks to the error codes & the internet we were able to fix that ourselves.

wonkylegs Thu 10-Apr-14 08:11:31

My Bosch has a good spin, most loads dry quickly afterwards.

lolalotta Thu 10-Apr-14 08:32:29

My hot point was rubbish. Needed repairing loads.

FlyingGoose Thu 10-Apr-14 08:40:59

I have a BOsch I got from freecycle six years ago and it is still going strong. When it does finally break I will be getting another Bosch.

Ishtar2410 Thu 10-Apr-14 08:44:22

I have a Bosch - think its 7 years old now (might be older!). No problems except its a little bit noisier on the spin than it used to be.

marssparklesdownonme Thu 10-Apr-14 09:04:06

Bosch

newpup Thu 10-Apr-14 09:15:10

Bosch here too. Had it about 6 months, first one. I had an LG before which came highly recommended but kept breaking down. Bosch is great but not as quiet as I would like though. Spin is good.

Madmog Thu 10-Apr-14 10:26:36

Hotpoint are the same company as Indesit. Our last Indesit lasted 17 years with no break downs, so when we were looking around wanted another one of the same make. We've now had our Indesit approx. four years with no problems.

chocolatespiders Thu 10-Apr-14 10:28:49

John Lewis currently have �50 cash back on bosch and hotpoint which is why I was looking at these.

Those with Bosch - what speed spin would be min reccomended.
Thankyou

Abzs Thu 10-Apr-14 11:40:50

My John Lewis (Zanussi) is nearing the end of its life - also stopping mid cycle and not coping with the loads it used to.

I was looking at Bosch too. Any one know how their heavy load machines perform? Other people have suggested Miele as well.

Contrarian78 Thu 10-Apr-14 11:55:15

We've got a hotpoint which has an 11-12kg load. It's actually o.k., very quiet with a 1600 rpm spin. The only thing that annoys me about it though is the countdown clock isn't that accurate. (3 minutes remaining has been 10 minutes before now)

It also has a useful steam refresh cycle.

We didn't get Miele as our last house was a townhouse and the machine was apparently not suitable for anything other than a ground floor - due to the weight I'm guessing.

DramaAlpaca Thu 10-Apr-14 12:03:50

I'd go with Bosch every time.

As for spin speed, mine is 1100. I really wanted a higher speed but had to buy a machine in a hurry and the shop didn't have what I wanted, which was a 1200 or a 1400 so I compromised, getting the model I wanted with a lower spin speed. In fact I'm actually very happy with 1100 as the clothes come out reasonably dry without being too creased and it means that I don't need to iron much - major bonus.

I usually line dry so the 1100 is fine, but if you tumble dry a lot a higher spin speed would be better as it saves on drying time.

my Bosch is 7kg load & 1400 max spinspeed but there never seems that much difference, to the touch, between 1400 & 1200

it's also very heavy - much heavier than the previous one - & I do have it upstairs, I'm worrying now about what Contrarian said about the Miele advice!

newpup Thu 10-Apr-14 12:24:54

Mine is 8kg and 1200 spin.

marssparklesdownonme Thu 10-Apr-14 13:46:54

I had an Indesit , same company as Hotpoint. It was a pile of crap and lasted two years. A friend's DH works for them and he wouldn't buy one !
Go for the Bosch. I've got a 7kg Avantixx 7 vario perfect and its great.

gobbin Sun 13-Apr-14 23:01:40

Can I throw a Samsung Ecobubble into the equation? Ours has been absolutely brilliant, better than our long-serving Bosch Maxx which died after 12 years.

mercibucket Sun 13-Apr-14 23:04:10

hotpoint will only last a couple of years

high spin also knackers machines. we have 1600 and i wouldnt get one again. 1200 is fine

MarshaBrady Sun 13-Apr-14 23:05:12

Bosch definitely.

chocolatespiders Sun 13-Apr-14 23:08:00

Gobbin- I have been impressed reading about the ecobubble so glad to hear you like yours! 5 year warranty which is great!

patothechiefexec Mon 14-Apr-14 15:24:16

Bosch

My 12 year old machine is still going strong. The drum wouldn't rotate last year so DH replaced the brushes (after advice from MN). I think they cost £7 off eBay.

Abzs Mon 14-Apr-14 17:59:16

We've gone for a Miele. It cost a small fortune, but has a 10 year guarantee and (from looking at it in the showroom at least) feels so much more solid than the others. It also weighs a ton.

It's going to break the floor, isn't it...

Bosch here too - I agree it is scarily quiet, washes super fast.

Missingsleepandthecat Tue 15-Apr-14 16:21:09

I have an entry level hotpoint at the moment, and, erm its ok, but it has a slow leak and --thats probably because of one two many overloads...

chocomochi Tue 15-Apr-14 19:21:29

I've had both and would definitely go with the Bosch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now