Designing a pantry...any tips?

(17 Posts)
mandmsmummy Sun 06-Apr-14 18:51:43

I am lucky enough to be building my own home and have been thinking about my pantry. Any tips? I'm thinking cupboard space at the end and shelving down the sides. What else might I need? X

BoffinMum Sun 06-Apr-14 21:33:54

Marble worktops for cheeses? Vents for air with mesh over, to keep things cool. Crates for apples and pears. Hooks for hams, salamis.

mandmsmummy Sun 06-Apr-14 21:35:35

Thanks! X

DoItTooJulia Sun 06-Apr-14 21:35:57

Get thee over to Pinterest! Full to brimming with ideas!

mandmsmummy Mon 07-Apr-14 09:44:38

I have! Love Pinterest! X

HappyAsEyeAm Mon 07-Apr-14 22:40:25

Recycling bins or space for recycling crates
Somewhere to put all of your bags for life
Veggie rack
Our big upright freezer sits in our pantry
Bookshelf for gardening and cook books

mandmsmummy Tue 08-Apr-14 20:35:59

Thanks Happy, good tips! X

HappyAsEyeAm Tue 08-Apr-14 21:32:05

We keep our wine, mixers etc in our pantry too, on stackable ikea wine racks
I also keep spare jars for whenever I batch cook chutneys etc
When I think about it, I keep all food in there, but for fridge stuff, bread bin and fruit bows
We have lots of shelf space, but its completely full. I think thats the tendency when you have a pantry - to fill the space buy buying extras when they're on offer etc.

HappyAsEyeAm Tue 08-Apr-14 21:32:17

Fruit bowl

mandmsmummy Wed 09-Apr-14 21:17:52

Thanks all good advice xx

divegirl77 Tue 15-Apr-14 11:14:52

electric sockets - need somewhere to plug in various cordless gadgets plus what about a wine fridge?

divegirl77 Tue 15-Apr-14 11:18:29

PS - my current house has a pantry and plugs but not in a useful place and not where I would have put them!

PecanNut Tue 15-Apr-14 14:13:07

I'd love a pantry... one day.

DBro / SIL have just built one and I was quite impressed that it is vented to outside both top and bottom for air flow, so remains a constant cool temperature.

bookishandblondish Sun 20-Apr-14 15:23:49

The very old pantry in one of the houses I grew up in had marble work tops, shelving, mesh vents. Also had a very heavy door which was either bolted or, could be opened with no hands - which is actually really useful. The other thing it had was a hatch door for very large deliveries ( could get a keg through it easily)

Pannacotta Sun 20-Apr-14 16:21:13

Storage space for wine and drinks, space and boxes/bins for recycling, sockets at useful height, bookcase for cookbooks, shelves for food/spice storage, hooks, veg rack, room for crates (on wheels) for crisps/snacks/bulky packets, space for tall dustpan and brush. Perhaps somewhere to plug in phone and battery chargers to keep them out of the kitchen?
Look at IKEA for ideas too, they have some good shelving systems.

ishouldcocoa Sun 20-Apr-14 16:27:06

It should be North facing to be the coolest room.

Plenty of ventilation (but not too mouse friendly!).

Stone/ marble or slate worktops a good idea, also a door that you can push open with your elbow, and a motion activated light that comes on as you go in - with an override button for when you want to clear out the room without waving your hands every 30 seconds!!

SixImpossible Sun 20-Apr-14 16:48:20

No fridge or freezer, or any other electrical stuff in a larder/pantry: you want to keep the room cool, and electrical items will warm it up. Fridges and freezers are the worst for this, as the heat exchangers give off a lot of heat.

Tiled walls. Permanent ventilation in both the door and one wall.

Clear floor, nothing standing on it so that you can mop easily.

A combination of slate or marble shelves for things that need to be kept cool, and wood shelves for tins etc that do not need cool temperatures.

A pressure switch on the door so that the light switches on when you open the door and off when you close it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now