So I'm getting a new bathroom for the first time ever...

(7 Posts)
TheCountessOlenska Fri 04-Apr-14 13:13:16

So I am experienced in scrubbing mould off grouting etc sad But how do you stop a brand new bathroom (yay grin ) going grotty in the first place? any tips please?

mousmous Fri 04-Apr-14 13:15:50

heating
ventilation (extractor fan and window ideally)
wiping taps/tiles after use

TheCountessOlenska Fri 04-Apr-14 14:15:03

thanks! as in wipe them dry?

homeaway Fri 04-Apr-14 15:21:08

You need to ventilate after having a bath or shower so you can either have an extractor or use the window.
The room needs to be heated as well as otherwise it never dries out.
We don't dry our tiles but it is amazing how much condensation is created when you have a nice long shower smile you just have be sure to get rid of it.

EmGee Fri 04-Apr-14 20:26:02

I have bath/shower rooms with no windows - just extractor fans.

They are not old (2008 building) but they still look good - although need a bit of TLC in the shower as there are cracks in the grouting.

The only things that work IMO are:

1. Shower or bathe with the door open and nearest window open too (where possible!)
2. Leave doors open until fully aired
3. Use squeegee or similar on glass doors immediately - this will minimise limescale marks
4. Squeegee tiled walls
5. Finish with a E-cloth (can get shower/bathroom ones) to 'dry' the tiles, grouting and sealant round the shower base
6. Use a mould product like HG Mould Remover as soon as mould starts to appear on sealant/in corners - gets rid of it in 30 mins.

Of course 3,4 and 5 are boring as hell. But the upshot is your bathroom will look new for longer and you are actually cleaning it every time smile

TheCountessOlenska Sat 05-Apr-14 15:13:25

Excellent advice, thanks both!

gobbin Sat 05-Apr-14 21:26:05

And if you have a bath, use nothing but a little washing up liquid to clean it round after each use from the word go. My neighbour gave me this tip 10 yrs ago and it works.

Second the ventilation posts above.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now