Pans for an induction hob?

(18 Posts)
Badvoc Tue 01-Apr-14 10:38:14

Getting my new kitchen later this month...and am having an induction hob for the first time.
Someone has told me that you can only use certain kinds of pans on them?
Is that right?
My pans are fairly new - they are the Thomas brand that tesco were doing a voucher Deal on couple of years ago...are they ok?
Don't want to have to buy new pans unless I need to!

mercibucket Tue 01-Apr-14 10:40:22

yes only some pans work. stick a magnet on the bottom to see if they are magnetic/magnetic enough

mercibucket Tue 01-Apr-14 10:41:40

google suggests they work on induction

Badvoc Tue 01-Apr-14 10:45:59

They have to be magnetic?
Interesting!
Thanks so much

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 02-Apr-14 09:56:31

Stainless steel or iron will work too, I love my induction hob.

ArtFine Wed 02-Apr-14 11:12:23

If the bottom is magnetic it will work on induction hob.

Get a magnet and try it out.

The alternative is to get a converter pan. I got one off amazon but haven't used it yet.

gobbin Wed 02-Apr-14 20:51:16

And if they aren't magnetic and you need new ones, get IKEA 365 pans. Brill. Affordable. Build up your collection-able. Especially the 1.5l small stock pot/use it for everything/want two of them pans.

I wish I had done this instead of buying my horrendously expensive Circulon Infinite pans which, though very nice, are heavy and take AGES to heat up compared to the IKEA ones. The frying pans are spectacularly crap. They may be great on gas, not on induction.

You will grow to love your new hob, especially the 'one wipe and it's clean' thing.

Badvoc Wed 02-Apr-14 21:03:28

Oh! I have some ikea pans too!
Marvellous.
Thanks.

Ninjamouse Thu 03-Apr-14 20:54:38

Yes it's true, we moved into our new house a few weeks ago with an induction hob, which I love. Most of our pans didn't work on it, our Thomas woks are just about ok, as is one saucepan. There're magnetic on the bottom but not the sides. True induction hobs are magnetic all over I think-and I suspect will work better.

Ninjamouse Thu 03-Apr-14 20:55:23

Sorry-not the hob, induction pans!

Onsera3 Fri 04-Apr-14 12:55:14

Yes ikea 365 are fab on the induction hob

Chatelaine123 Fri 04-Apr-14 19:23:01

If you need to buy new pans take a look at www.theknowledgetaxi.co.uk/

I'm very pleased with the procook pans for my induction hob.

Chatelaine123 Fri 04-Apr-14 19:25:00

Oops, sorry, wrong link!

try this www.procook.co.uk/

Badvoc Fri 04-Apr-14 20:42:29

Thank you!

mum2jakie Wed 30-Apr-14 22:22:42

I'm just waiting for our induction hob to be fitted. I've seen the Circulon pans but they seem a bit pricey and am worried they might prove too heavy and not robust enough for everyday use. (I want something that will withstand fairly slapdash treatment and dishwasher use.)

Has anybody tried this set of Snitsig Ikea pans on an induction hob?

www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60139363/

They seem really cheap (3 pans and a frying pan for £25) so wondering whether they will be up to much? Do the pricier versions last much longer?

RuddyDuck Fri 02-May-14 04:40:22

We had an induction hob put in last year, its brilliant. Most of my pans still worked on it, but I did have to replace my wok and a couple of saucepans. We don't have an Ikea near us but I did get some good basic pans in Dunelm Mill.

Eastpoint Fri 02-May-14 05:07:11

We got a set of pans with our new Siemens hob. I'd contact whoever is supplying your hob & ask them it it comes with a set. Some of our old stainless steel pans work, the ones which are about 25 years old don't.

Roshbegosh Fri 02-May-14 05:18:06

Someone on here said that if you put a piece of kitchen roll paper under the pan it will still work and it stops the hob getting scratched. It works, great tip. We always preferred gas but are induction converts now, clean and quick and it can do v low heats if needed. I haven't answered your question about pans though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now