can't believe this never occured to me before (oven cleaning)

(23 Posts)
FreakoidOrganisoid Mon 31-Mar-14 14:37:23

Normally when cleaning the oven I find I spend ages wiping dirty gunk around the oven once the product has done its thing-seems to take forever to rinse it all off. Wipe round, rinse out cloth, wipe round, rinse out cloth...seems to go on and on.

Today I soaked all the stuff up with kitchen roll, THEN wiped it round with the damp cloth. So much easier and only took two mins.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else had not thought of it!

trikken Mon 31-Mar-14 14:39:49

Thanks. Ive just found out that my body scrub (one with bits in) gets rust marks off my plastic bath without scratching it.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 31-Mar-14 16:22:40

If you dunk a dish washer tablet in boiling water to soften it you can then use it to rub away the oven gunk like an eraser. Takes about 3 mins to do a really manky oven door!

GingerRodgers Mon 31-Mar-14 16:25:23

Ooh good tips!

I find if I drink just the right amount of gin, I couldn't give a flying fuck about the state of my house

<helpful>

MisForMumNotMaid Mon 31-Mar-14 16:27:19

I find washing up liquid is really good at dissolving the grease on the glass induction hob and glass oven door.

piratecat Mon 31-Mar-14 16:28:36

layer of foil in the bottom saves you having to deal with bottom of oven gunk too. Just bin it.

Moodykat Mon 31-Mar-14 16:32:29

grin

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 31-Mar-14 16:35:21

Arf @gingergrin

Going to try the tablet one now

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 31-Mar-14 16:36:25

I love the dishwasher tablet trick as I prefer to use the 60 quid I'd pay the oven man on make up and hair stuffwink

BiscuitMillionaire Mon 31-Mar-14 16:37:31

I just got a new cooker and in the instructions it says DO NOT put foil on the bottom of the oven as it's a fire risk. I've seen it recommended here before, been meaning to pass this info on.

MichaelFinnigan Mon 31-Mar-14 16:44:36

Lakeland do a thingy for serving gin putting on the flour of the oven to catch bits that've fallen off your pizza

trikken Mon 31-Mar-14 16:46:53

I love the dishwasher tablet trick. Just don't get them too wet otherwise they just crumble.

chocolatespiders Mon 31-Mar-14 16:49:31

My glass door came up well with bicarbonate..
I put newspaper on floor in front of oven to scap all wet manky bits onto before attacking rest with cloth.

piratecat Mon 31-Mar-14 19:52:43

foil is a fire risk ??! i have been doing it forever.

oops

piratecat Mon 31-Mar-14 19:55:54

is it because of fats? Am veggie so maybe not so bad for fat spillage?

feelinlucky Mon 31-Mar-14 19:59:09

Ginger I just wet myself a little at your post smile

Rindercella Mon 31-Mar-14 20:02:33

Loving the tips, especially Ginger's

People bang on about lemon juice for stainless steel but cream of tartar is the business.
I have a clean oven door now too thanks. It took a bit longer but not horrendously so

GiveTwoSheets Mon 31-Mar-14 21:00:39

grin ginger

FreakoidOrganisoid Tue 01-Apr-14 13:28:42

grin ginger.

I have no dishwasher, so no tablets otherwise I'd be trying that. I use a blade to scrape the glass when it gets really burnt on.

PurpleFrog Wed 02-Apr-14 19:34:17

Thanks for this. I just tried washing up liquid on the oven door and with about 15mins light work I have removed 95% of the gunk. It probably helped that the oven was still warm. I had tried bio washing powder before with no effect. The next step tonight was going to be dishwasher tablets...

Now I will wait and see how long it takes before DP notices!

MargotLovedTom Wed 02-Apr-14 19:37:44

Ginger yours is the toppest Top Tip ever tipped wink. I would buy a fridge magnet with that on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now