In praise of PigletJohn

(85 Posts)
Giraffeski Sat 29-Mar-14 16:45:13

I would just like to say,
PIGLETJOHN, HOW DO YOU KNOW SO MUCH STUFF?

I am in awe of your amazing general knowledge and would just like to say thank you for all the amazing advice you give on these boards.
I always think, PigletJohn will know the answer to this. And lo and behold, you always do!

So, thanksthanksthanksthanksthanks

PigletJohn Sun 06-Apr-14 22:11:27

don't know

seems very expensive and I am suspicious of payback.

InsertUsernameHere Sun 06-Apr-14 22:34:06

We looked at ground source heat pumps and our architect agreed with PJ. He reckoned they weren't really that green and only worth it if you have a free source of electric and live in a passiv house.

thornrose Tue 08-Apr-14 21:24:32

Oh dear I have a plumbing problem I'm hoping someone (ie PigletJohn) can help me with.

I have had a blocked toilet. I called out plumbers yesterday who spent 3 hours sorting it out finally using high pressure water jet.

They had major problems which they tried to explain to me but I didn't understand! It appears the toilet has been fitted badly (I'm ground floor of a Victorian conversion) They finally gave me a receipt saying that there are out of line joints and they cannot guarantee drains as they don't discharge into the manhole for the toilet.

My toilet is now blocked again, well, the waste is disappearing but the water level is too high.

I don't know what to do next, its already cost me £150 and I cant really afford anymore right now sad

PigletJohn Tue 08-Apr-14 22:25:43

You need to post in Property & DIY, not Fanmail.

Ask around friends and neighbours for a trusted and experienced local plumber or small builder. Don't use yellow pages or internet advertising "recommendation" websites. Don't call a non-geographic phone number. Look for an established local business address that you can look at and is not an accomodation address. Check the postcode online to see how many companies use it.

A local firm will have seen hundreds of properties just like yours.

thornrose Tue 08-Apr-14 22:38:13

Thanks, sorry, just really desperate for advice and have no-one to help in RL.

ContentedSidewinder Thu 10-Apr-14 09:30:14

I agree local people know local stuff. I always go off recommendations.

I also love PigletJohn and his sage advice.

legoqueen Sat 12-Apr-14 14:10:34

PigletJohn is legendary...

I always read his posts. He is fab. How can someone be so knowledgable? He is wonderful. Mrs Pigletjohn is lucky.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 25-May-14 20:40:04

Mrs PigletJohn probably thinks you are all welcome to him at times wink

cricketpitch Mon 26-May-14 21:14:33

Fluffy love that post. Spot on. Made me smile. smile. That is, of course, life!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now