Talk to me about duvets- which filling?

(22 Posts)
EarSlaps Thu 27-Mar-14 19:53:04

I don't really like our feather and down duvet any more, it just feels too heavy and either sweaty hot or too chilly. I've never been a huge fan of synthetic either (fussy).

I see about wool duvets and silk duvets, they are supposed to be temperature regulating. Is that actually the case or just marketing guff? DH and I always disagree on when to change the duvet (got a 4 seasons one, annoys me even more as the two layers move around in the cover). Obviously they are really expensive, so I don't want to get one if it's not going to be brilliant.

iggymama Fri 28-Mar-14 18:34:06

I love my silk duvet. Light as a feather and never get hot and sweaty under it. I am a very poor sleeper so regard good bedding as an investment in my health.

Also love my flannelette sheets, not trendy but so soft and snuggly. Zzzzzz.....

EarSlaps Fri 28-Mar-14 22:07:29

Thank iggy- is it warm enough for winter or do you need a different duvet in winter? Do silk duvets come in different togs?

BrownSauceSandwich Sat 29-Mar-14 10:18:50

I upgraded this year from a microfibre 4-seasons duvet to a wool room 4-seasons duvet, and it's been brilliant. The two layers are fixed together at lots of points around the edges, so don't shuffle around independently like other 4-seasons duvets I've had.

They're super thin, but plenty warm enough, and it never feels sweaty, because the moisture doesn't get trapped like with synthetic or feather. No clumping of filling, no allergic itch. Expect to be surprised by how thin, but how heavy they are. Not as heavy as feather, but just heavier than they look.

iggymama Sat 29-Mar-14 10:25:08

Silk duvets come in different weights. Mine is an all seasons one, a thin one and a medium one that join to make a thick one. I find the medium one alone is mostly warm enough in winter.

We have a wool duvet, its lovely, and would agree with everything that BrownSauce has said above.

EarSlaps Sat 29-Mar-14 15:44:31

Ooh, decisions decisions... smile.

I'm quite liking the Baavet wool duvets- they have a clearance section for less than perfect ones. I was thinking of getting a spring/summer/autumn one they have cheap, then if that's not enough for winter in our well insulated house we can add a blanket or hope they have a thicker one in the clearance smile.

EarSlaps Sat 29-Mar-14 15:46:07

My husband likes a thicker duvet than me so I'm hoping the regulating properties of wool might make us both happier and stop arguments about when to change the duvet!

amazonianwoman Sat 29-Mar-14 18:01:30

I love my Baavet duvet smile I no longer sweat like I used to with my old goose down one.

Headlikeafuckingorange Sat 29-Mar-14 18:37:22

Silk all the way! I adore ours, perfect all year. We've got a medium weight one and haven't felt the need to buy a warmer one yet.
We recently went on holiday and the bed had a massive down duvet, it was horrible. So heavy and suffocating.

e1y1 Sat 29-Mar-14 18:38:10

Up until recently, I would have always said feather down, until I saw the horrific videos on how they source down. So much so, I changed my duvets (which cost a fortune, not nice to mention money, but lets say there weren't much change from £300)

Apparently these new microfiber cluster duvets are good (I didn't buy them when changing duvets) but they apparently give the luxury of feather, but lighter.

gobbin Sun 30-Mar-14 13:17:05

Baavet all the way!

Reastie Mon 31-Mar-14 14:29:41

I've got JL hungarian goose down (something like that) duvet and it is amazing. Like sleeping in a cloud and so so light, not heavy at all. It wasn't cheap and it's the best duvet I've ever had (have had down duvets before but none as light as this). It's one of those ones which has a summer and autumn duvet which click together for winter.

EarSlaps Mon 31-Mar-14 15:42:50

I've ordered a baavet 450g- supposed to be winter, spring and autumn. About a 12 tog equivalent, I used to have 15tog polyfill duvet all year when I didn't share a bed so hopefully it will be ok. Will have to see what it's like when it comes and see whether it is ok for summer.

Got it from the bargain box so about 40% off as it has some faulty stitching where the bobbin thread ended.

camflower Mon 31-Mar-14 18:02:11

i am a total convert to wool duvets but it did take a few weeks to get used to the change after years under a cloud-like down duvet.

it is bliss when you lie under it and you feel yourself growing toastie - but to the perfect temperature. i've now got three baavets (two from a raid on the bargain box!). three to four seasons one with a blanket option for when it was really cold: i'm afraid the hungarian goose down has been sent off to the spare room ...

camflower Mon 31-Mar-14 18:03:36

ps i have a silk duvet too but it never got me too excited. perfectly fine but a bit slippy.

EarSlaps Mon 31-Mar-14 19:14:49

I'm really excited now, I wish it was here for tonight. I also got DS1 a single sized one, same weight. Got both for less than the cost of a non bargain box one. If I like them then ds2 will get one too smile. And then maybe a pillow.

One of our bed sets is poly cotton. Not sure how well they'll work with it (will it prevent temp regulation?) but I prefer the feel of a poly cotton sheet strangely. I don't really like the cotton one, probably because I can never be bothered to iron it (life is too short).

camflower Tue 01-Apr-14 20:27:34

The bargain box is marvellous. I got a king size brand new in clearance and rang to ask what what was "wrong" - they said that it wasn't the standard three-four season weight (it was a bit over) so that's why it was in the sale. I am tempted by a wool pillow too!

gobbin Wed 02-Apr-14 20:10:08

I have a Baavet wool pillow, it's great. Medium weight support. I have neck and shoulder issues and it gives me a good night's sleep.

It compares well support-wise with my top range IKEA pillow. The wool pillow doesn't sweat. It feels bobbly to the hand because it's wool balls, but not bobbly under your neck, strangely.

amazonianwoman Wed 02-Apr-14 20:47:50

My Baavet pillow arrived today - can't wait for bed grin

I'm hoping it won't be as sweaty as my memory foam pillow so that I won't look so bedraggled in the morning...

EarSlaps Fri 04-Apr-14 15:51:07

Well they arrived today. DS's is already on his bed and I'm just washing my duvet protector so I can put ours on. Can't wait for bed, especially as I had a late one last night AND I get the bed to myself this weekend as DH is away.

iggymama Fri 04-Apr-14 17:32:08

Sweet dreamssmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now