dishwasher not rinsing properly

(10 Posts)

I am so dissapointed. I bought my first ever dishwasher, a second hand bosch dishwasher from ebay and since we've had it I've never been very impressed with the cleaning job it does but recently its got much wotse leaving particles of food sprayed around the dishes like it is rinsing with dirty water or something? Im new to dishwashers, what am I doing wrong? Im using white vinegar for rinse aid and topping salt up every week or so (its never run down) waeh once a day and spread everything thing out. I scrape all food off before loading and empty the filter every few washes...

SuperConfused Wed 26-Mar-14 15:42:42

This has happened to us. Generally its either the result of the filter not being cleaned out, in our case being in a hard water area doesn't help but also, to my great surprise, using cheap own-brand dishwasher tablets makes it worse. We switched to sainsburys own brand having decided finish was too expensive and I honestly thought the machine was broken based on how bad the difference was. We've now settled on Lidl's own brand, which are reasonably but much, much better. Maybe try a different brand of detergent?

Yes, we did change from using finish tablets to using the finish powder but only because I read a thread on here that said repair men recommend using powder hmm

Even while using the tablets though we had the samr thing just marginally better.

When you remove the filter and can see the waste water pipe, is it full of dirty water? Ours is, is that normal? !

patchesmcp Thu 27-Mar-14 09:24:00

We had this, also with a Bosch dishwasher, but the problem was worse in the top rack. After trying a lot of different things I found there was a tiny piece of sweetcorn stuck where the pump. This was removed and it started working fine after that. I presume the sweetcorn was stopping the pump working properly so the water wasn't being pushed round as hard as it should be, hence food particles still being left on the dishes...maybe hmm

murphys Thu 27-Mar-14 09:28:57

Are the spray arms clear? You can take them off and clean them out as bits of food do get stuck in there. i do wonder how a whole pea or eggshell can get it there, but anyhoo

Mine did this and there was a bit of gunk in the spray arms. I find the Finish tablets better than any other one tbh.

PigletJohn Thu 27-Mar-14 16:06:46

you are using salt in the softener reservoir, aren't you?

Apart from that, it is usually the filters, and sometimes the arms, being clogged with detritus. The instructions will tell you how to remove and clean them. There may be three levels of filter. If you have lost the instructions, you can probably download them from the maker's website. The model number and other references are often engraved on the top edge of the door (unless they have been scoured away)

My sump only has clean water in it. There is a different problem that can arise, if the waste hose is attached to the sink trap without sufficient rise, of dirty water from the sink draining into the dishwasher, making it smelly, but this is not relevant to poor rinsing.

AngelaDaviesHair Thu 27-Mar-14 16:10:16

Clean the filters thoroughly, top up with salt and rinse aid, then I would run it empty on the hottest programme with a bottle of dishwasher cleaner in it-use the Finish one as it sounds as though it needs a good clean. Expensive but worth it, makes a huge difference in performance.

PigletJohn Thu 27-Mar-14 16:10:17

p.s.

If the previous owners were in the habit of putting greasy items such as butter churns, roasting or grill pans in it without scraping or wiping off, there may be an internal blockage of congealed fat. AFAIK cleaners do not remove it and the machine has to be taken apart to get it out.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

I seem to have fixed the problem, I did all the things suggested but I think the real issue was that the salt wasnt getting used because the settings were showing that we had soft water (we really don't! ) I think the previous owners must have turned the salt function off because they used tablets so when I used powder I didn't realise you had to turn it back on. Anyway, I have turned it on and am now using tablets (lidl) which is working really well, so happy!

So I guess its getting twice the amount of salt, do you think thats ok?

PigletJohn Sat 05-Apr-14 14:45:47

You can gradually turn it down, or, if you go to the website of your water co, you can look up your water hardness, and the instructions for the machine should say what adjustment to set.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now