Oven pride on glass oven doors

(23 Posts)
JRmumma Wed 26-Mar-14 12:40:35

Ive just bought some oven pride as my oven has been somewhat neglected since the arrival of DS. It says do not use on glass oven door.

I'm fairly certain i used it on MIL'S oven door before with no adverse effects but cant be 100% sure.

Does anyone know why they say not to? Or have you used it and all was fine? My oven door (inside) is disgusting and I need to get it clean some how! Will be annoyed if i can clean all but the door as it will still look dirty!

Skivvywoman Wed 26-Mar-14 13:06:52

I'm positive you can! Try google

Chocotrekkie Wed 26-Mar-14 13:07:56

I used it on mine - brought it up lovely..

Alchemist Wed 26-Mar-14 13:09:04

I unscrewed the glass panels and put them in with the shelves. Have done it a couple of time with no problems and see through glass!

I've used it and it's been fine...although would love to know if there are any long term problems of doing it?

JRmumma Wed 26-Mar-14 13:45:18

Another question - did you leave it on the glass just as long as the inside?

Alchemist Wed 26-Mar-14 15:03:46

I left them both overnight.

RustyParker Wed 26-Mar-14 16:24:46

OP, this video shows Oven Pride being used on a glass oven door!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HqCIx1HQjY

Monty27 Wed 26-Mar-14 16:26:35

I've done/do it. No harm that I can see. smile

figgypuddings Wed 26-Mar-14 16:27:24

I used it on the glass last week- left it on for two days. It came up beautifully, all sparkly and no burned on bits.

JRmumma Wed 26-Mar-14 20:09:28

Great! Going to put it on in the morning and am very excited about my future sparkly oven! Its only a year old and i was doing so well keeping it clean until the baby was born and I let the husband use it unsupervised!

Monty27 Wed 26-Mar-14 21:10:59

Mind any rubber seals. that might be why the manufacturers of the cleaning product doesn't recommend it. (I don't have any on mine)

Good luck smile

WeAllHaveWings Wed 26-Mar-14 21:21:06

Can I use the product on the glass on my oven door?
No, as the glass is tempered and the product can cause the glass to crack. Tempered glass is glass that has been processed by thermal or chemical treatments to increase its strength in comparison to normal glass.

Because tempered glass has been chemically treated the chemicals in oven pride could cause your glass to shatter next time the ovens on. It might be ok, but I wouldn't risk it. We used oven pride in the oven (for it's annual clean) and took our oven door off and cleaned with lots of elbow grease.

Monty27 Wed 26-Mar-14 22:05:58

Oh WAHW that makes since. Mine can't be tempered then. No wonder its useless grin

JRmumma Thu 27-Mar-14 08:52:11

But surely the chemicals are in the glass not on it? So you cant wash them off?? Or am i being dense here?

I'm minded to chance it but not leave it on the glass very long, but i really don't want to buy a new oven.

Ive tried elbow grease but ive got bad wrists and probably cant scrub hard enough.

JRmumma Thu 27-Mar-14 09:07:32

Ok ladies, ive just read another forum and someone recommended making a paste of soda crystals and vinegar, leave for 2 hours and then scrub, so ive put the paste on and will report back later on whether this works. I'm still gonna oven pride the rest, ive just gone the glass.

JRmumma Thu 27-Mar-14 12:39:45

Didn't work. Used oven pride but only left on for 5 mins and it came up gleaming!

pluCaChange Thu 27-Mar-14 14:53:32

Ooh, I wanted to ssk someone about unscrewing tge glass panel. Are there any precautions one has to take?

JRmumma Fri 28-Mar-14 16:47:30

Not on mine. Just undo 1 screw on caring each side and it just slides out. Not sure if its important to ensure it goes back the same way round but i always make sure that it does.

JRmumma Fri 28-Mar-14 16:47:51

Casing i mean!

pluCaChange Sat 29-Mar-14 09:12:48

So there's no seal on the glass bit? That's what I'm really afraid of!

KringleCandleLover Sat 29-Mar-14 09:21:50

I shall tell you my oven door cleaning secret.

Get a blade from a Stanley knife and hold it against the glass at a slight angle. Then push it against the stuck on stuff so as it scrapes off.

It takes a while but removes everything.

I tried everything from chemicals to steam and this is by far my best way of doing it.

pluCaChange Sat 29-Mar-14 14:09:18

Unfortunately, I do need to go behind the glass, as some dirty water got behind the glass panel, the last time I tried to clean with steam! Argh!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now