Fridge/freezer left off for 2 weeks! Oh the smell!!!

(2 Posts)
makeyourown Tue 25-Mar-14 22:29:06

Help!! I've just come back from a two week holiday to discover that I switched off the fridge/freezer when I meant to switch off the hot water heater! Rotten meat and fish a plenty! (And I live in a warm climate, to make matters worse).
I have spent hours cleaning with baking soda, vinegar, disinfectant etc but it still smells. I have it switched off, with the doors open. Would the cold help if I turn it on? Is it better as it is, or with doors shut and baking soda to absorb odours?
I need to get rid of the smell asap as obviously living without a fridge is not going to be easy! Have young kid.

PigletJohn Wed 26-Mar-14 00:15:58

unplug it, and pull it away from the wall. Observe that there is a dish on top of the motor which contains water and fungal growth. Sponge it dry, then clean it with household cleaner and a small brush, and sponge it out. Do not allow water to fall on any electrical part.

The inside of the cabinet can be sprayed with kitchen cleaner with bleach, but keep it away from any electrical part or any exposed metal. Agitate well with a cellulose sponge, sponge off, wipe with fresh water on a sponge to clean it off.

Have another look in the dish after a week or so.

I think it will air better, turned off with the doors open, but when you turn it back on, condensation and defrost will tend to wash away the smell into the dish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now