Toy storage solutions

(9 Posts)
TheUnemployableLeech Mon 24-Mar-14 07:47:49

Need some advice please, I seem to be drowning in toys. At the moment the train set is confined to DS's room and most of the soft toys live in DD's. The rest of the toys are either in a toy box in the hallway or in plastic boxes in the living room. They have a habit of emptying out the boxes and using them as hats and occasionally throwing the at each other(I know) and they get broken. I need some kind of robust storage that looks better than a 5 or 6 boxes lined in a row. And that is practical.

The advantage is that if they refuse to tidy up (common occurrence, any requests are met by a flat out "no") I can take a box and put it up on the top of the cupboard.

How do you organise toys effectively? I regularly sort them out so all the duplo goes into separate boxes (4), then one each of 'their' toys and one general (balls, musical stuff, cars etc). But they get mixed again pretty quickly. At the moment we have no Lego (dd would eat it) but that will probably change towards the end of the year, we have some in storage for DS. I fear the addition to the mix! Also jigsaw storage advice (I want to have them accessible, but they tend to tip them out and leave me with a pile of pieces)

Help!

PrincessScrumpy Mon 24-Mar-14 20:17:00

I put puzzles in plastic wallets that popper.

Toys are mostly in an ikea expedit. We also have one in the hall for shoes and hats and gloves etc.

happydutchmummy Mon 24-Mar-14 23:20:38

Ikea expedit unit with a box for duplo, box for train tracks, box for art stuff, box for instruments, etc. then become very strict with the one box out at a time rule.

Mrsantithetic Mon 24-Mar-14 23:24:49

Is the trofast no good then? Thinking of getting one for dd room

leeloo1 Tue 25-Mar-14 13:40:37

I have Trofast and find it great - very versatile with the different size boxes/shelves/units. I have several of the tall ones with things I don't want accessed independently near the top and a stepped one, which is great for displaying things on the tops of the units.

PrincessScrumpy Tue 25-Mar-14 18:51:32

I prefer the look of the expedit as it's in our living room. My friend had the trofast in her ds bedroom and she's very happy with it. Just a matter of choice smile

Mrsantithetic Wed 26-Mar-14 15:15:07

Excellent was torn between the two.
Thank you grin

bloob Sat 29-Mar-14 21:59:15

We have ikea stuva in the living room, with the nicer wooden doors.

I really like it! We have 3 tall ones and a bench unit with a cushion on. They sit on the bench to read and pull out the box to hide underneath! 2 of the units have 2 big drawers at the bottom which is great, one for baby toys, one for duplo, one for brio, one for random things like aqua doodle, threading beads etc. the other one has a little cupboard at the bottom for "big" toys, it has trike, dolly chair, push alongs etc in. Then above we have little boxes for smaller toys Like Lego etc.

We swapped from trofast when we had a playroom and I much prefer the stuva. Tidier, and they seem to be able to access the toys more easily whereas the trofast tended to get a bit jumbled. Also we have a couple of shelves which they like and are handy for odd shaped things but can still hide it behind doors.

ultraviolet11 Tue 01-Apr-14 14:10:43

Same problem here. I asked similar question on a thread a few weeks ago. I am still trying to find a system that works for us. jigsaw puzzles are all stored on a high shelf in living room so ds can't tip them all out. We have a trofast but I'm not entirely happy with it they tend to tip it all out and not really play with much. I'm going to have a look at the stova or expedit as looking for something nicer in the living room. currently have a tall billy bookcase on it's own. Poor billy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now