Stained PVC tablecloth

(10 Posts)
MrsPaddington Sun 23-Mar-14 10:53:37

Pasta sauce, anything tomato based stains my table cloth.
I've tried detail mould and mildew remover after a google search. Alas no good.

Any ideas?

FaceDirectionOfTravel Sun 23-Mar-14 13:13:25

New one. use the old one for craft. grin

MrsPaddington Sun 23-Mar-14 14:41:36

Oh no! Don't say that!

PigletJohn Sun 23-Mar-14 17:09:28

the red colour from tomatoes is soluble in fat, and it migrates into some plastics, including utensils, handles and Tupperware-type containers, especially when hot, e.g. in a dishwasher.

As it soaks in, instead of lying on the surface like dirt, it does not clean off, but may fade in sunlight.

Maybe look out for a red-and-orange one?

Ragwort Sun 23-Mar-14 17:12:12

Agree - impossible to get out (years ago, working for a retail company that sold PVC tablecloths we were actually taken to court over tomato sauce stains grin).

MrsPaddington Sun 23-Mar-14 19:20:51

Oh bugger!
Right, red or orange table cloth then!

Is actual oil cloth any different/better?

Maybe I will just ban all tomato/red based food?

cloutiedumpling Sun 23-Mar-14 22:29:24

Try hanging it in sunlight for a day or two. I find it makes a big difference.

redcaryellowcar Mon 24-Mar-14 00:57:56

I put some neat bleach on ours after clearing the table and by the time i had washed up, sorted through dishwasher had a cup of tea (& maybe left it another hour or so) i wiped off the bleach and stain had gone, note i put the bleach on waterproof side (ie the top?) our pic table cloth is light blue.
I don't usually use bleach for cleaning but i couldn't find anything else that worked!!

smaths Mon 24-Mar-14 07:56:29

If you leave it outside in the sun the stains will fade. Or put the table by a sunny window but it will take longer through glass

MrsPaddington Mon 24-Mar-14 21:57:40

I will try near bleach and sunshine...when we get some that is! Thanks all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now