Another washing question

(8 Posts)
Familyguyfan Sun 23-Mar-14 10:06:48

I've searched previous threads but am looking for more good ideas.

I take a lot of pride in my washing (sad!) With a small child and a weaning baby stains are inevitable but I am determined that my whites will be white.

I use ariel and either lenor or comfort but the whites just aren't white. My washing is increasingly being soaked and sprayed and rubbed with various stain removers which are helping a bit (as will hanging out in the sunshine now the weather is improving) but I'm angry that I spend quite a bit on washing powder and stain removers and the result isn't as good as my mum's washing in the early 1980s.

Can anyone tell me what they use, cheaper the better, that is successful?

Thanks all

rub washing up liquid and a little bit of water into the stain before washing with bio powder (powders better than liquids as they contain bleaches that liquids dont have). I also stick a scoop of vanish oxi action crystal white (or supermarket equivalent) in with the powder

rideyourbike Sun 23-Mar-14 12:10:18

When my kids were little, I used to wash in fairy non bio, soak any stained stuff in vanish and then add some to the wash too. But prevention is better than cure, big apron with sleeves for meals with a tomee tipee bib over the top ��

What ilove said.
Hang outside as much as possible. Sunlight will naturally bleach the stains.
HTH smile

Buttercup27 Sun 23-Mar-14 12:25:06

I have used back to white in the past before ds i'm not sure if it's OK to use with kids clothes as haven't needed to but it brilliant. I accidentally washed a cream towel in with my whites with back to white in and the cream towel also came out brilliantly white!

ToAvoidConversation Sun 23-Mar-14 12:25:10

I use aldi wash powder and fabric conditioner and pop it on the line if possible. Sunshine makes such a difference. I also wash on 40 instead of 30!

Onmyown1 Thu 03-Apr-14 13:57:30

I made my own stain remover with washing up liquid and water in an old stain remover bottle, just spray on before putting in machine. Works better than vanish spray etc and a lot cheaper

I add a couple of denture cleaning tablets to my white wash (in the drum). Works a treat and very cheap - I use the non branded variety.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now