Playroom to design-please advice any 'do's & 'dont's from your experience

(25 Posts)
evelynj Sat 22-Mar-14 11:31:14

We're converting the integrated garage to a playroom (with a view to me possibly starting childminding).

Dc are 8 month girl & 4yo boy.

The full garage door is going to be glass & patio doors & 1 other window & door to rest of house. So far I'm thinking of 2 vertical radiators either side of window & probably one of the biggest expedit units (5x5) with the cheap white fabric boxes-maybe stitching embroidery thread to say what's inside or add some sort of picture?

There's a big old sofa to go in & I have a big coffee table that's a good size for ds to play with toys on. I think I need to try to avoid the urge of stuffing all the unwanted furniture from the rest of the house there as when there's space I tend to fill it!

Any advice on what works & doesn't, great ideas or big regrets? Laminate flooring & picture ledges for books to go on are other ideas.

Thanks all!

Quoteunquote Sat 22-Mar-14 15:10:48

www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categories/series/19027/

these ^^ floor to ceiling along one wall, makes tidy up time easy.

shoom Sat 22-Mar-14 15:46:32

The low expedits on their side can function as storage and a play table combined. The ikea fabric boxes with vertical handles are toddler-friendly (lightweight etc). I'd put pictures on them, words too if you've room.

Definitely laminate, a washable rug for a reading corner. Maybe bench-style table and chairs for eating etc depending on your space.

shoom Sat 22-Mar-14 16:33:37

Oh and those foam mats for the floor are great on top of laminate.

evelynj Sat 22-Mar-14 16:44:38

Thanks for replies-yes foam mats is a good idea.

The trofast do appear in a lot of nurseries etc but I think they look pretty awful, but may need to use them if they are so good.

Is it possible to have a stylish playroom or should I not even attempt it?! Planning on pure white walls-TV best mounted on the wall?

Also, may try to find space for a world map, other than this would I be right in thinking that most other wall space would be better for storage or blackboard rather than decoration?

shoom Sat 22-Mar-14 16:55:22

I don't like trofast either.

Mothercare / elc have wall charts of the alphabet, numbers etc
www.elc.co.uk/Wallchart---Alphabet/102372,default,pd.html

A globe and a map for the wall would be nice. Have you seen this book?
store.barefootbooks.com/barefoot-books-world-atlas.html

shoom Sat 22-Mar-14 16:56:39

I think just a few items on the wall and space to display art work made by the children would be nice.

evelynj Sat 22-Mar-14 19:08:01

Thanks shoom-a globe would be great actually & that atlas looks good ta -checked the app too which might be good but will have to check if I have enough space on my ipad.

I guess pictures can be displayed anywhere on walls-e.g. high up is fine & so books & child accessible things can be down low.

I like the idea of benches-again, one of the expedit single strips may be good for seating at the wall. Is there any merit in getting a couple of the children's poang armchairs? I'm not sure if they would get used or if a few beanbags that can be thrown in a corner would be better....

HSMMaCM Sat 22-Mar-14 19:12:43

A child friendly mirror and as much floor space as possible.

Jellymum1 Sat 22-Mar-14 19:25:35

Sensory wall! With different fabrics and textures there are some amazing ones on pintrest I really want one but dont have a spare wall sad

shoom Sat 22-Mar-14 19:26:56

I thought the poang chair took up a lot of room. My toddler wasn't really interested in it - it's just for sitting in, not a chair for sitting at a table, so he wouldn't use it much. It does look nice though (as does the wicker chair at £15) This egg chair however always seems popular in my local branch, although it is just for sitting and hiding in . You may have to introduce a queuing system! m.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/art/90264218/

He also really likes this step still stool , which could be useful for you
m.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/art/20201738/

Depending on the potential children's ages, I'd probably decide on separate areas for e.g. reading / crafts / construction / kitchen / push along toys/ (whatever you want), work out how much room each area is allowed or the minimum it requires, then find things to fit. Have you visited any local nurseries or looked online to get ideas of their layout?

The low tv style units with shelves for dvds can also be good play takes with storage below.

Littlefish Sat 22-Mar-14 19:28:56

A lovely big mirror, a thick rug to play on, and lots and lots and lots and lots of storage. Also, twice as many power sockets as you think you need. once your children are teenagers, they will have lots of electric/electronic devices which will all need power.

shoom Sat 22-Mar-14 19:28:56

play tables

evelynj Sat 22-Mar-14 22:05:01

Great thanks. There's a nearby nursery which is ikea kitted out & ds went to which is great-I think as much open floor space is definitely good so the big coffee table as a play table is going to be a winner.

I like the sensory wall idea too-I already have an optic fibre lamp that all the lo's love.

We have the egg chair in ds bedroom so will move that down as it's not currently used much up there.

Does any in know where to buy child friendly large mirrors? I'm so excited about the space & eager to get it right-off to check Pinterest! Really appreciate the suggestions smile

JsOtherHalf Sun 23-Mar-14 21:26:25

Go to ebay and search for acrylic mirrors, there are lots of choices.

evelynj Sun 23-Mar-14 21:41:53

Thanks Js-not too expensive either, they are fab!

Also found a large wall clock with numbers rather rpthan Roman numerals in homebase today & reduced to £20. Woo hoo!

gamerchick Sun 23-Mar-14 21:46:41

I have this on the floor in my playroom www.amazon.co.uk/Interlocking-Blue-Play-mats-pack/dp/B001C1C6B2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1395611010&sr=8-3&keywords=foam+mats

however, if it's in a garage,,something a little bit more hard wearing and bigger might be better. It wipes clean lovely.

I totally agree about the power points though... especially if you want sensory stuff in there. It all needs electricity.

sundeparted Sun 23-Mar-14 21:54:29

If you have the space definitely get a playtable - great for playing off the floor.

MisForMumNotMaid Sun 23-Mar-14 21:58:31

We've used the expedit 5x5 in our last two playrooms. The third row up i've not put boxes in but some open some with the cupboard inserts.

I found this row to be at critical topple height for younger DC. They could just reach to ease box out but didn't have strength to lift down.

Pooka Sun 23-Mar-14 21:58:36

Expedit is being discontinued (although being repiCed by something similar) so get the unit quick. They will still stock the baskets and inserts I think though - to fit the new style units.

JsOtherHalf Sun 23-Mar-14 21:58:49

Aldi have those foam mats on their specials from Thursday 27th march:
https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thursday-27th-march/product-detail/ps/p/multi-purpose-floor-mats-1/

Pooka Sun 23-Mar-14 21:59:59

Dd has the 5x5 in her room.

Three rows open. And 10 of the cubes with either cupboards or drawers.

TheRaniOfYawn Sun 23-Mar-14 22:08:28

The Expedit replacement is virtually indistinguishable from Expedit, so there's no real need to stock up.

Pooka Sun 23-Mar-14 22:17:17

I think the new one doesn't look as solid - thinner surround. My mother is happy because she doesn't like the thickness of the expedit.

evelynj Mon 24-Mar-14 20:58:47

Thanks for heads up on expedit & best heights for doors etc.

Sadly no aldi near here much as I love them.

Off to redesign where the sockets will go-had been thinking 5 doubles & a tv point would be enough, now not so sure! Pen & paper at the ready....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now