I actually want to know how to wash whiter

(55 Posts)
sergeantmajor Mon 17-Mar-14 12:34:23

After years of watching ads where housewives wonder how to get their wash whiter, I find myself staring at my greying bed linen and wondering the same thing. How can I get my White Company bed sheets to be worthy of the name? Have tried: Biotex pre-soak and long hot machine wash, but the sheets still look pretty dismal.

KatherinaMinola Sun 30-Mar-14 20:51:39

I agree about powders, but find that they leave a powdery residue on clothes sometimes, which can't be good for skin. How to avoid?

When you say soda crystals in the drum, do you mean in a dosing ball thing or just directly scattered into the drum?

PigletJohn Sun 30-Mar-14 21:11:52

just shovel the crystals in through the door. Though they do dissolve easier than soap so no big deal.

If you seem to be getting visible soap residue, throw that through the door as well (it may be getting clogged in the drawer or pipe, which you are going to clean) and don't rely on cool washes to dissolve it.

KatherinaMinola Sun 30-Mar-14 21:26:07

Thanks. So no dispensing ball for soap powder either? (Why do they make the things if you don't need them?)

RandomMess Sun 30-Mar-14 21:52:47

I too just put my powder into the drum as instructed by the engineer! Tend to do 40 degree washes too, use less than half the amount told but use soap nuts to help soften the water.

rootypig Sun 30-Mar-14 21:54:36

I think you can really cut down powder quantities - to a quarter. Some machines have an extra rinse available.

DD has v sensitive skin and I have settled on Ecover liquid, I'm really happy with it actually. Though it's a little off topic as it won't return whites to white, it keeps them white observing the strict no mixing and line drying policies!

yes I care this much about laundry grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now