I am 34, I am single for the first time in my adult life, I have no idea how to keep a house clean - HELP

(60 Posts)
shakinstevenslovechild Sat 15-Mar-14 12:22:56

Dh and I have recently made the decision to split.

I have been with him since I was 19/20.

He is moving out soon, and I am really worried.

In our relationship I have worked, dealt with the cooking, washing and our dc, he has worked and dealt with the majority of the housework.

I am ashamed to say that I don't even know where to start with keeping on top of the housework because he has always done most of it.

Please, please share your hints and tips with me.

I have a 3 bedroomed house, 4 dc, and work from home mostly.

I am blush that I have got this far in life and relied on him so much, so please be gentle sad

coffeeinbed Fri 11-Apr-14 11:09:07

Tidy forst.

then work your way left to right, top to bottom, dry to wet.

Feminine Fri 11-Apr-14 11:09:08

What 'lasts longer' btw? smile

Maisie0 Fri 11-Apr-14 11:19:52

Haha. I meant that the effect of reducing the number of bacterias on your skin will mean your skin is cleaner for longer. ;)

It does dry the skin only the first time, but after that it doesn't. It is not strong dilution as well. Just a lighter one. I am a bit of a skin freak these days, because I realised what makes it glow that bit more. I am trying to stay away from spa and use good dead sea bath salts with dettol, every once a while. Sorry, I didn't mean to use dettol, AND bleach AND the tooth pastes to clean with. blush

Maisie0 Fri 11-Apr-14 12:06:29

Just to say that, you guys are hilarious. I just joined mumsnet. I miss girly chats, I do I do. smile

"=It lasts longer." Did I really write that ?? blush

Feminine Fri 11-Apr-14 12:24:02

Okay Maisie grin

I'll bet your bath tub stays quite clean too!

Maisie0 Fri 11-Apr-14 15:24:47

Feminine !

Hehehehe.... blush blush wink

HolgerDanske Fri 11-Apr-14 15:38:03

Wow you certainly don't need to change bedding every day! Once a week at the weekend smile

YellowStripe Thu 24-Apr-14 18:15:15

My mum used to bath me in Dettol! I still love the smell of it grin I have been known to sniff it as I walk round the supermarket ....

oscarwilde Fri 25-Apr-14 16:38:21

You change all your sheets every day ? <faints>
Well that's 1.5 hrs or more every day that can be spent whizzing around the house.
Unless you live somewhere pretty tropical then once a week should be fine.

shakinstevenslovechild Fri 25-Apr-14 16:49:38

grin I have started doing bedding twice a week and we haven't caught anything as yet, I have no idea why I did it every day, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

I think I'll stick to radox baths and leave the dettol for.... actually I don't know, I have a bottle and have never used it for anything.

He has moved out now, a couple of weeks ago actually, and my house isn't perfect, but it's not bad either. I do a big clean on a monday and have a bit of a routine going for the rest of the week now. The kids get pocket money for chipping in with the chores, and I officially love my dishwasher, I really wouldn't have coped through this difficult time without its support grin

Thank you for all the tips, and for recommending flylady I am not the scruff I once was, I'm still no Anthea Turner though grin grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now