Fed up of toxic smelling cleaners for kitchen....any natural suggestions?

(15 Posts)
Tudaisy Thu 13-Mar-14 23:18:00

I always wanted to look for natural products to clean my kitchen. Any suggestions. I need something that will get my sink and taps looking shiny without causing the tap to erode, a cleaner for the hob without neading too much elbow grease.

Also a degreaser for my cooker hood

Thanks

sleepdodger Thu 13-Mar-14 23:28:48

Method stuff is great

PigletJohn Fri 14-Mar-14 10:39:26

Washing up liquid is biodegradable and removes grease and dirt. For stainless steel, it can be used with a green nylon scourer to get most marks off. It will however also clean off manufacturers markings. You can then polish up the stainless with a damp cotton rag.

You can buy citric acid crystals to clean off limescale.

specialsubject Fri 14-Mar-14 17:29:08

vinegar and bicarb of soda are the chemicals that work well here.

most new tapes say 'water only, no cleaners'.

IslaValargeone Fri 14-Mar-14 17:31:01

Another 'Method' fan here.
The french lavender multi surface cleaner is lovely.

Rattitude Fri 14-Mar-14 17:35:27

I got the grapefruit Method cleaner and I thought it was rubbish: it was not effective at shifting the dirt/grease.

I have a huge stock of vinegar and sodium bicarbonate, which I occasionally use. I quite like the Cif cream cleaner though: possibly not great for the environment, but bloody effective!

ishouldcocoa Fri 14-Mar-14 17:36:07

I third the Method range.. esp the lavender one.

amazonianwoman Fri 14-Mar-14 21:48:51

Just hot water and washing up liquid. Or, even better, the appropriate e-cloth and hot water.

CharleyFarnsbarns Fri 14-Mar-14 21:59:22

Any tips for bathroom cleaners that don't stink? Used viakal today and the whole house smelt weird and old lady-ish.

Another vote for the lavender Method spray.

e1y1 Fri 14-Mar-14 23:19:28

There are loads of places online to get excellent green, non animal tested, and environmentally friendly cleaners. One of the best place is a em website called the big green smile. They're excellent

FannyBazaar Fri 14-Mar-14 23:21:03

Soda crystals or liquid soda crystals, great for tackling grease.

Dunwhingin Fri 14-Mar-14 23:40:55

www.splosh.com
Try this
I am loving the whole lot - bought kitchen, bathroom and floor cleaner and fabric softer. All smell great, work well, gentle on hands etc and not expensive!

Tudaisy Fri 14-Mar-14 23:58:02

Thanks for all your suggestions. Will be getting a few of them to try out and see which I get on with the most.

MrsFlorrick Sat 15-Mar-14 00:31:19

Soda crystals, bicarbonate of soda and vinager.

Or even more natural and will make your house smell amazingly fresh, steam cleaner. X5 or similar.

Obv don't use vinager if your worktops are marble or granite. It will etch them.

Ditto if you have stone tiles in bathroom on the vinager.

As Piglet John says, washing up liquid is great too.

Vinager for shiny taps and lime scale removal.

Washing up liquid for grease.

Soda crystals for drains and extreme oven grease. Ditto bicarb.

Steam cleaners can be used on floors and for dusting and cleaning windows. I mostly dust with mine and do windows and nothing else I have ever tried

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now