If you store your recycling inside then where and how do you keep it?

(10 Posts)
mameulah Wed 12-Mar-14 22:21:24

I am sick of taking disgusting slug ridden recycling to the recycle dump so I would like to start storing it inside.

Any ideas so our pfb toddler doesn't drag it all around the house and so that it doesn't end up looking gross in the kitchen? I have looked up recycle bins but they seem way overpriced.

And should I store it in separate containers or in just one big box or whatever?

tia

MoominMammasHandbag Thu 13-Mar-14 11:35:08

I have a white three drawer Trofast unit from Ikea in my utility. A lot of storage for a small footprint, plastic drawers are easy to wash out.

specialsubject Thu 13-Mar-14 12:10:18

ours doesn't get slug ridden inside or out. Not sure why that would happen?

there's a plastic crate under a worktop in the kitchen. In it goes paper, cardboard, WASHED-OUT tins and plastic bottles (ideally although not always washed in the dishwashing water), glass.

when it gets full it gets sorted into the outside crates which go out fortnightly. Our council doesn't collect cardboard so that goes to the dump as and when - but it isn't dirty.

food waste (tea bags, peelings, we don't generate anything else) goes in a covered bin in the kitchen and then in a compost bin.

that's it, really.

evertonmint Thu 13-Mar-14 13:35:59

We have a plastic crate by the back door. I empty it into the recycling wheelie bin when it gets full - usually twice a week. Washing jars, tins and bottles beforehand makes a huge difference to the smell and ickiness of dealing with it.

If you have to dispose of the recycling yourself, could you just buy a regular lidded bin from a hardware shop and keep it outside with your normal rubbish so it wouldn't get slugs in it?

evertonmint Thu 13-Mar-14 13:38:57

Ikea used to do lidded stackable bins of different sizes called Sortera which we used in our old house for recycling but now use in the garage. They only seem to do one size now but they were good.

JuanFernandezTitTyrant Thu 13-Mar-14 13:40:08

We have sortera as well. £6 for a massive box with a lid.

OneDayWhenIGrowUp Thu 13-Mar-14 13:43:43

I have a wicker basket on a low shelf in the kitchen and it all goes in there, empty once/twice a week into the outside recycling bin. Any bottles/tins etc i rinse at the end of the washing up so all the recycling is clean & dry. We just have mixed recyclables, no composting, so organic stuff has to go in the general waste angry (no outdoor space of my own to do anything about it myself)

maillotjaune Thu 13-Mar-14 13:57:22

We have a second kitchen bin with the council's recycling bag in it, then out outside when bag is full.

Kitchen waste (food, peelings etc) goes in the council's corn starch bags in the small worktop bin they provide then full bags are tied off and our in the outside kitchen waste bin which has a kind if lock in it so animals can't get in.

But that probably doesn't help if your council doesn't have such an easy, workable system as ours.

AntiDistinctlyMinty Thu 13-Mar-14 14:04:10

We have big tub in the utility room that we put all the recycling in (washed where appropriate), which we then take out and sort into the council tubs every few days. The kitchen waste (teabags, veg peelings etc) goes in a little airtight bin in the kitchen that I take out to the compost bin most evenings.

starfishmummy Thu 13-Mar-14 19:54:42

A second 30 litre legal bin for us. When it is full we tip it into the recycling wheelie bin. Food packaging gets rinsed out first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now