We have a mouse showing a lack of discretion . . .

(11 Posts)
newrose Wed 12-Mar-14 18:57:40

and live in a tenement - so burning with fire is out. Does anyone know if traps actually work, and if so, what best to use as bait? DH is convinced it's the same one popping up in our living room and bedroom hmm so maybe not a job for pest control just yet (whereas I'm more a nuke-it-from-outer-space kinda gal). Help!

Mouldypineapple Wed 12-Mar-14 19:00:17

How does burning with fire work?? New one on me!
Oh and just to join in if you don't mind how do you get rid of mice in a compost bin?!
Feel free to ignore me as I don't want to hijack your thread..

PigletJohn Wed 12-Mar-14 20:29:06

there is never "one mouse"

I use the bait. You need to put it down, in small amounts, in multiple places. Under kitchen cabinets and behind the fridge and cooker is good, where it is out of reach of pets and children.

SimLondon Wed 12-Mar-14 20:32:35

Electric trap - sounds odd i know but it's brilliant, when we moved here we caught a dozen mice in the first few days with an electric device and some peanut butter. We left it out overnight and put it out of small children's reach in the morning.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pest-Stop-PSERK-Electronic-Rat-Killer/dp/B000FII3YW

BrownSauceSandwich Thu 13-Mar-14 08:41:15

Chocolate buttons as bait.

LegoCaltrops Thu 13-Mar-14 08:43:53

Chocolate or nuts as bait.

GwenStacy Thu 13-Mar-14 08:45:06

Peanut butter as bait - when we had mice they took chocolate and nuts off the trap without springing it!

Nocomet Thu 13-Mar-14 08:49:46

We have poison under furniture and in dark corners.

Being out in the sticks, Morris seems to visit if it gets very cold or when they harvest the winter wheat. Either way he and his friends are not welcome. They shit everywhere, steal chocolate and nibble pasta, cereal and oat packets making a huge mess.

newrose Thu 13-Mar-14 16:23:32

Did the traps with peanut butter thing last night with no result (except another sleepless night!). Waitrose peanut butter.

Mouldypineapple have you tried turning the compost over more often so they don't see it as a des res and bugger off somewhere else? Alternatively, when we were in London our neighbour's cat used to sleep on our compost during the day . . . possibly a little more extreme but hmm, cat.

starfishmummy Thu 13-Mar-14 19:51:58

Dry bread works for us. They ignored more tasty delicacies!!

BrownSauceSandwich Fri 14-Mar-14 09:16:07

Starfish: I have an image of the chief mouse lecturing her underlings... "If it looks too good to be true, it is too good to be true."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now