What's the antibac stuff to get sweat smells out?

(18 Posts)
TootsBoots Mon 10-Mar-14 10:57:46

I remember reading about it, to get the lingering sweat smells out of shirts etc?

TIA

LilllyLovesLife Mon 10-Mar-14 12:13:12

NappySan? Not sure if it's what you mean but it's an antibac that you can add to laundry, gets rid of stains too. Very good stuff!

ShoeJunkie Mon 10-Mar-14 12:49:30

Halo sports wash?
Or I just stick a bit of dettol in.

BertieBotts Mon 10-Mar-14 12:53:53

My mum always puts vinegar in the armpits of clothes.

Does this work for long ingrained smells? I have some clothes which I never used to wash often enough and even though I now do, they seem to smell anyway even though they have been washed. Would be nice to know if the smell can come out or not.

twojumpingbeans Mon 10-Mar-14 12:58:46

The Dettol laundry anti bac liquid is really good.

DP stinks to high heaven after a day on a building site but I just wash all his clothes in lidl wash tablets in a 40 degree wash.

No sweat smells on his clothes after.

If its ingrained then wash, hang out to dry, then wash again. With pre-wash and extra rinsing if necessary.

no need for extra products, they are just a marketing ploy.

stick a couple of capfuls of zoflora disinfectant in the fabric softener bit of the washing machine. Does the same job as the dettol laundry stuff but is much cheaper

PassNoRemark Wed 12-Mar-14 12:30:59

Milton do an in-wash fabric cleaner if that's any help?

racmun Wed 12-Mar-14 12:36:18

Dettol anti bac stuff is fabulous and solved this problem for us.

the dettol stuff is very expensive though. Zoflora does the same job but is much cheaper

sadsaddersaddest Thu 13-Mar-14 15:25:25

I use white vinegar (DH is a builder) if a 40°C wash is not enough.

ShadowOfTheDay Thu 13-Mar-14 15:28:36

Vanish hygiene powder

TootsBoots Sat 15-Mar-14 13:14:33

Thanks all - will keep my eyes peeled.

you dont get the antibacterial action of the Vanish hygiene powder unless you soak the clothes in it first - I didnt realise this until i read the packaging properly.

from vanish website:

Antibacterial Action
Add 1 scoop of Vanish Extra Hygiene in 4 litres of warm (40°C) water.
Soak for 1 hour.
After soaking wash as usual or rinse thoroughly.

ShadowOfTheDay Sun 16-Mar-14 07:55:42

I find it still stops armpits smelling of sweat though, if you just use a scoop in the powder drawer..... so it must be doing something my washing liquid isn't.....

ChishandFips33 Sun 16-Mar-14 08:01:09

White vinegar either sprayed on and/or in conditioner compartment. It works on long term armpit whiffs as it neutralises the bacteria - smells a bit weird when damp but once dry you really don't smell like a chip butty!!

goodasitgets Mon 17-Mar-14 00:54:20

Napisan, the dettol one. Asda do a sports wash that is good too
(Avid gym goer and horse rider) grin

stuckindamiddle Sun 23-Mar-14 22:57:57

Halo, or Tesco's own brand 'Expert' liquid for work and sports wear - it's green colour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now