cleaning windows -stains inside windows.

(4 Posts)
averyyoungkitten Sun 09-Mar-14 11:58:18

This might be more DIY than housekeeping, I am not sure. I have been cleaning my windows (and using a tip on mould on window frames got here). I noticed my bedroom windows seemed to have streak marks running down them. Tried to clean off twice. Then went outside in case they were outside. But they are not. It seems as if these marks ,which I cant quite describe but look like water or soapy marks and are running down the glass leaving it milky coloured and seem to be inside the double glazing ( between the two layers of glass).

Can anyone tell me what it is, and what I can do to remove it?

PigletJohn Sun 09-Mar-14 12:12:25

This is where the seal between the two panes of glass has failed. You can't fix it yourself. However there will be at least one double-glazing repair company in your town that can order and fit a new piece of glass. It is a very common job so they should he able to give you a price if you phone with the measurements. Best to make the fitter measure it before he orders the glass though. Double glazed panels are made to order though they might be a standard size.

You can also get windows de-fogged, they drill a hole in the glass and wash the inside with a squirter. This is worthwhile on very large or abnormal panes that would be expensive to replace, or if you have a number of windows that can be done in a single visit.

There is no need to buy new windows unless you think the salesman needs a new car.

averyyoungkitten Sun 09-Mar-14 13:17:27

Thank you. Although it may sound odd to say, I was hoping that might be the case. I have wanted to replace front windows ( both are the same) for sometime. DH, being the orginal Mr Money Pincher ( eco warrior man has nothing on DH) would not entertain the idea because he said anything that is not broken should not be fixed. If I had asked him, he wouldtell me some story and say it was not because the windows were past it.

The windows are over 25 years old and have wooden frames ( I hate cleaning them) despite being double glazed and the units are thin compared to the new ones we got last year when our sitting room and patio doors dropped off their rollers (yes really!). My bathroom windows are the same.

I feel the oportunity to call the window man in to quote for new windows has arrived.smile

PigletJohn Sun 09-Mar-14 13:44:32

be sure to get trickle vents included

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now