Economy using washing machine

(4 Posts)
nutcasenan Sun 09-Mar-14 04:39:34

Just got a new Siemens washing machine. Read manual which states electrity consumption on Eco perfect settings but does not appear to inform on the Speed Perfect which are shorter cycles. Does the longer economy cycles refer to just water consumption? Be pleased to have your opinion.

sunev Sun 09-Mar-14 05:36:14

Apparently it's cheaper to heat water slowly rather than quickly, so the economy cycle cycle takes a lot longer but uses a lot less electricity. Don't understand the science behind this but it does work.

Chanatan Sun 09-Mar-14 06:58:41

good explanation here

However,over the past week I have had a lot of washing and fed up with waiting for the 2hr15mins for the 40 economy wash have used the ordinary wash,my electricity usage has not changed (have a key meter and check on a daily basis) so I.m not convinced.

nutcasenan Sun 09-Mar-14 09:42:40

Thank you Chanatan for your input. Like you I find the shorter programmes really liberating. I completely forgot the smart meter checker which I only used initially to see how much electricity I was using generally. Thank you also sunev, so that is the official explanation! Cor! Thought getting new machine would be easy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now