Got a q for Miriam Gonzalez Durantez? ×

can I machine wash a coir /seagrass runner?

(9 Posts)
stuckindamiddle Sat 08-Mar-14 10:48:38

Just wondering as it filthy and vacuuming and even beating it isn't cutting it. Not sure if it's coir, seagrass or sisal but it's one of them and has a rubber backing. Should I risk a cold, vehicle wash then line dry it while weather is good?

stuckindamiddle Sat 08-Mar-14 20:21:12

bump?

BrownSauceSandwich Sun 09-Mar-14 16:25:25

Honestly, this would be an absolute last resort for me, if the only alternatve was to bin the thing. I imagine it would cause the fibres to swell, and who knows whether they'll recover. have you attacked it with a bristle brush and the detail nozzle on the vacuum cleaner? I guess shoe brush firmness would be ideal for dislodging dust and loose bits, but I'd consider trying the floor-scrubbing variety if I thought it might help.

Sorry, I really don't have a solid answer for you, and your guess is probably as good as mine, but I didn't want you to feel abandoned wink

stuckindamiddle Sun 09-Mar-14 20:00:55

Ah thanks brownsauce. You're probably right about washing it. I hung it over the washing line today and beat it with a broom!! Felt strange but seemed to work. I like your suggestion of scrubbing it with a firm brush too. Will get on it tomorrow.

yomellamoHelly Sun 09-Mar-14 20:04:28

Did this once. Cost £55 to repair machine! So don't advise it.

stuckindamiddle Sun 09-Mar-14 20:41:51

yomella - phew!! Thanks for posting. (I love mumsnet!!)

theywillgrowup Tue 11-Mar-14 23:54:04

i did this last week

put on a wool wash and added extra water

came out great,hung over airing cupboard door to dry

hope my machine is ok after reading this

stuckindamiddle Wed 12-Mar-14 09:24:51

They - interesting!

Did you put it in a duvet cover or something to contain any fibres that came loose?

My runner is quite long and rubber backed so I'm also wondering if its fit in my machine, even though it's an 8kg drum one.

theywillgrowup Wed 12-Mar-14 21:19:50

no cover just bunged it in

mines a 7 or 8kg drum

good idea to put duvet cover on though,never thought to do that

mine is rubber backed as well,about 8ft long came out fine

very gentle wash though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now