Duvets!!! Worth spending on??

(12 Posts)
MozzchopsThirty Fri 07-Mar-14 20:08:09

Mine is a 12 tog
No idea about togs, is this thick?
I hate being hot in bed

Is it worth buying a really good duvet or is one from JL and Argos essentially the same?

comicsansisevil Fri 07-Mar-14 20:30:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 07-Mar-14 21:05:01

Go to tk maxx, I got a hollow fibre superking with microfibre cover for £23.

junemami Fri 07-Mar-14 22:24:10

Get a wool duvet - light but warm. ££ though

ramonaquimby Fri 07-Mar-14 22:28:24

Bought one in sales from the white company. Down mostly, def worth the money! Its really light.
Was about £100 I think for super king size.

mousmous Fri 07-Mar-14 22:35:13

depends on what you want/need.
I have a 12 tog down duvet that's washable (was expensive at 250£ for a single duvet but is already more han 10 years old)
dh a 6 tog ikea one.

the dc have ikea hollow fibre duvets (7togs I think) that are easily washable and dry very quickly. they feel ver cuddly and comfortable.

BobPatSamandIgglePiggle Fri 07-Mar-14 22:40:28

I'm snuggled under a 3 tog feathery thing - paid about 50 quid I think. Hate being hot in bed and I love it. It feels heavy even though its low tog.

Dp couldn't give a shit though - a quilt is a quilt to him and he'd be just as happy under a £5 asda one.

no we dont spend a lot. We have a 10.5tog on winter and 4.5tog in summer

MozzchopsThirty Fri 07-Mar-14 23:28:36

Thanks smile
I've seen a fogarty one that's 10.5 with a 4.5 you can add on
Never realised I had a warmish duvet

Having trouble with night sweats and trying to make the bed as cool as possible

we never use higher then 10.5tog even though we are in Scotland. You get a range of togs e.g. 4.5, 7.5, 9, 10.5, 13.5, 15, etc. The higher the tog the warmer it is

HerGraciousMajTheBeardedPotato Fri 07-Mar-14 23:48:26

We have a mid-range feather&down duvet from JL. Dc1&2 have Siberian Goosedown duvets (gifts from ILs). Dc3 has thin, machine-washable, synthetic duvets.

The difference in weight is extraordinary. When I have slept in the older dcs' beds I keep expecting to be cold, because their quilts weigh the same as dc3's. they are so light that I don't feel covered. Yet they are, in fact, even warmer than our mid-range quilt.

So if you are chilly, or don't like to be weighted down, then it's probably worth spending on a good quilt.

If you go for a cheaper down duvet, make sure it's not channel construction, and that it is made of featherproof cotton.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 08-Mar-14 08:37:18

If you want feather make sure they haven't been plucked from live birds.

Afaik John Lewis ones and duvet and pillow warehouse aren't but I'm not sure the white company are cruelty free.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now