i need to get neat and organised. my home in bulging and i want to sell

(10 Posts)
pud1 Fri 07-Mar-14 13:44:36

i am bursting at the seams in my 2 bed flat. i have 2 dds ages 4 and 6. a oh that works from home with no office space and a dog,

i am clean but untidy. on first glance my place looks spotless but open a cupboard or draw and its a nightmare. i have a terrible habit of shoving things away.

i would love some storage suggestions that dont cost the earth ( or anything as we are saving for a deposit )

my major areas of concern are

1. kitchen has no organization. i like to keep surfaces tidy but cupboards and draws are stuffed. the worse parts are under the sink, pan cupboard and bits and bobs draw

2. kids bedroom. i have the usual boxes under beds and draws for toys and book shelf. she storage is a joke

3. linen. i do the full set int he pillowcase thing so bedding is ok. my towels are in the draw under the bed. it is at breaking point

if any one has any ideas i would be grateful

ILoveWooly Fri 07-Mar-14 17:37:56

I have to say it is the age old 'do I need I'? I bet your straining cupboards are full of cleaning items you wanted to try, spices you never use, ancient tins etc... BIN THEM ALL!

Same goes for toys/clothes etc the DC's have outgrown.

BrownSauceSandwich Fri 07-Mar-14 18:42:06

Well you sound like you're doing better than many people, if it looks tidy superficially. Also, that's what buyers will see: yep they may look in the odd cupboard, but i dont think they'll judge you harshly for the odd drawer-of-crap. We all have those!

But I understand how depressing that hidden clutter can be, and it sounds like you're on the edge of it overspilling into not-enough-storage-to-keep-it-all-hidden. Fortunately, you can choose to do it little by little, one cupboard at a time, and it won't wreak havoc on the house in general.

Let's talk towels... Do you need a place to store towels? Of course you do. Is the current repository the right place? maybe not. Think about where you'd choose to store them if you were arranging the house for the first time, and keep an open mind to a potential domino effect of rearranging... You can't keep the towels in the wrong place forever just because there's something else wrong in the towel place. Now, how many towels do you really need to store, and how many are you trying to store? Cull the rest of them. You might want to downgrade one to dog towel, to be stored with dog stuff, some might go to charity shop, or cut up and edges bound for cleaning cloths. But if you haven't used it for two years, and you're just keeping it for some sort of undefined towel emergency, now is the time to get rid of it. Once you have the right number of towels, give them a bonus wash if necessary, fold them and put them in the towel place, emptying whatever's in the way into a box for sorting next and then reforming to a more appropriate place.

Food, toiletries and cleaning products are wonderful fun to declutter. Pull everything out of each cupboard/fridge. Do you know what it is? Is it in date*? Does it look nice (hasn't gone sludgy, mouldy, otherwise unappealing)? Are you likely to use it this year? If the answer to ANY ONE of these questions is no, then just bin it. (*I'm not talking about the cheese that's one day over but you were about to use... That's fine. I'm talking about the miso paste that expired circa 1992... YOU ARE NEVER GOING TO USE IT!)

Clothes and toys often provide rich pickings. Does it fit? Is it age appropriate? Is it in good condition? Do I have anything else like it? When did I last use it? If you haven't worn it in two years, it has no place in your life. I know some people stash clothes that they're going to diet into... I think they're just excuses for not living in the here-and-now, but if you must, then at least box them up and store somewhere less accessible. don't let the torment you every time you open your wardrobe. Once you've weeded out the albatrosses, use vacuum storage bags for out-of-season stuff, and for clothes you're saving for your younger daughter.

Save the bits-and-bobs drawer for when you're really mentally alert. I've spend many a fruitless hour looking at a collection of unrelated items (fuse wire, nut-crackers, money off vouchers, foreign currency, optical wipes, orphaned keys and elastic bands), completely losing sight of what I'm trying to do. Was I tidying up, or building a tank, A-team style?

pud1 Fri 07-Mar-14 18:43:34

That's my problem though I have got rid of junk. We just don't have the space for what we need. I need to organise and utilise space

I've gradually put plastic baskets in most of the non-clothes drawers and cupboards in our house, also small lidded stacking boxes on toy shelves, it helps keep everything organised and sorted and is especially handy on high shelves as you can get the whole basket down to find things.

Have you got a balcony or any outdoor space that you could maybe get one of those plastic storage boxes for, then move out some cleaning stuff etc out there? Storage pouffes or a chest instead of a coffee table in the living room?

pud1 Sat 08-Mar-14 13:31:26

I take it all back.

I have cleared out a small 3 door sideboard and the top of my wardrobe and have filled 2 bin bags. It feels good already grin

specialsubject Sat 08-Mar-14 16:43:44

:-)

I've found the best thing is to take away the cupboards - suddenly you really wonder 'why am I keeping this?'

remember that if you are moving, you (or someone) will need to shift every single item. So keep up the good work, before buying storage, get rid of things!

SlatternMissesherGrumpyCat Sat 08-Mar-14 20:09:21

"Building a tank, A team style". grin

Mrswellyboot Sat 08-Mar-14 20:14:36

Hello OP, don't know if these are of any use. We have large wicker baskets stacked large,medium, small in the sitting room

Bag up surplus plates, towels etc you really don't need more than two per person. I store excess in the attic for when towels wear out

Go through your house again. Be ruthless. Do you really need all the stuff?? Really need it? I bet of you go through it, you don't use it all.
Utilise top of kitchen cupboard space with baskets.

We also built a shed to store large boxes of washing powder, potatoes etc. argos do outdoor seating with storage.

glammanana Sat 08-Mar-14 20:27:55

Hi OP, do you have a garage area or parents/relatives with space at the back of their garage which you can borrow until you can move,put anything you do not need in boxes and store until a later date,anything else can you not e-bay it and leave the £s in your account and forget about it the proceeds will soon mount up and help with your deposit.Make all your cupboards tidy by using stacking baskets rather than just shooving things in,and invest in some big mirrors (cheap in B&Ms) for your lounge and hallway they give a feeling of space.Once you get started you will be amazed and get OH to help you by keeping all his work stuff in one place in colour cordinated boxes. best of luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now