Sweaty smell in running clothes

(24 Posts)
Elfina Fri 07-Mar-14 13:26:30

Any tips for shifting? Have washed at 60 with bio but still they still whiff within a few minutes of wearing?!

MyNameIsAnAnagram Fri 07-Mar-14 13:29:29

Try a wash with some napisan. Failing that a soak in some water with bicarbonate of soda in.

I use halo proactive sports wash in sports kit. The dettol laundrey cleanser gets bunged in with dh shirts. Can't smell a wiff when i iron so think it must work.

magpieC Fri 07-Mar-14 13:34:19

I second Halo (possibly combined with a 60 degree wash).

MissPB Fri 07-Mar-14 14:26:40

Another recommendation for Halo! It is fabulous stuff ( I buy a few bottles at a time from Amazon) and I even wash my woollens in it at 30 degrees.

NaturalBaby Fri 07-Mar-14 14:31:06

I have halo sports wash and use dettol sometimes but have 1 running top that stinks within minutes (before I break out i a sweat) no matter how it's washed.

chocolatespiders Fri 07-Mar-14 14:36:37

Sounds like halo would be good for dd school shirts that have a slight pong!
Can it be bought anywhere else other than amazon?

AngelaDaviesHair Fri 07-Mar-14 14:40:21

60 with bio means the temperature is possibly cancelling out the bio effect, which is designed to be effective at 40 and under. You could soak in bio then wash at 60, perhaps?

chocolatespiders Fri 07-Mar-14 14:47:57

Interesting maybe that's what wrong I do the white school shirts on 60 with bio will try and reduce temp
Tesco and asda do own brand sports wash so I am going to try them and see what results I get.

mousmous Fri 07-Mar-14 14:50:59

just normal desinfectant liquid helps.
airdrying outside if possible.

a couple of capfuls of zoflora in with the fabric softener helps (does the same job as the dettol in wash stuff but is cheaper)

ThatBloodyWoman Fri 07-Mar-14 14:56:00

Soak in a solution of white vinegar and water tben wash.

It's a bloody miracle!

chocolatespiders Fri 07-Mar-14 16:14:37

Love the dettol lavender one -would that work?

mousmous Fri 07-Mar-14 16:27:43

yes, instuction are on the bottle.

magpieC Fri 07-Mar-14 23:04:32

Halo is available in our largest local Tesco and I think I've seen it in Sainsbury too.

stuckindamiddle Sat 08-Mar-14 11:01:56

Halo is great! I've used it for DP's sports kit since it was only available by mailorder.

Tesco do an own brand workwear and sportswear liquid too - a green liquid. It's good and cheaper than Halo.

stuckindamiddle Sat 08-Mar-14 11:03:24

And as a PP said, washing too hot cancels the germ killing action of these sort of liquids I think.

chocolatespiders Sat 08-Mar-14 11:57:38

I have a lovely line blowing full of white school shirts washed with bio and a capful of lavender and orange dettol - I am loving the fresh smell
Thanks all my problem may be solved And I was not even the op!!

ShoeWhore Sat 08-Mar-14 14:45:01

White vinegar on the smelly bits helps.

ShoeWhore Sat 08-Mar-14 14:45:19

Put it on just before you put in the washing machine.

BrownSauceSandwich Sat 08-Mar-14 23:04:43

Biological washing powder has enzymes that digest some of the chemicals that make things whiff. Enzymes are inactive if the temperature's too low, and are destroyed if the temperature's too high, so I'd say stick to 40degC, unless they specifically say they're suitable for a wider range of temperatures.

On the whole, what makes the stinky chemicals are bacteria... Both on your body AND in your clothes. These won't be destroyed by most washing temperatures, nor by biological washing powder. The odd 90degC wash helps, as does drying outside (it's the sunlight that does it), but something like halo (or at a push, soaking in dilute bleach) will kill off the bacteria to stop the smell reappearing.

Elfina Sun 09-Mar-14 07:38:42

Thanks all! Lots of great suggestions to try!

stuckindamiddle Mon 10-Mar-14 13:47:56

Now that the sun has returned hang them outside to dry if possible. Sunlight kills bacteria - bonus!!

runningforme Mon 10-Mar-14 14:01:37

Another one here for white vinegar. It works wonders and is cheap. I just soak the gear in a bucket of hot water and a few sloshes of vinegar, then wash as normal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now