Covering kitchen cupboard doors with vinyl ??? Anyone tried

(6 Posts)
Mintymoomoo Thu 06-Mar-14 17:10:02

Anyone covered theirs in vinyl??

Just looking for temporary fix for a year or too just to spruce it up as pretty horrible cheap council fitted kitchen with worst beige Lino ever!

I have sort of set my heart on this cherry red colour for walls, tiles are ok plain white and was going to replace Lino with a black/grey tile effect!

But if I do go with the vinyl and advice have seen either a high gloss white or black ?

Tiles are fine, plain white and work tops ok black ish!

Thinking if I get some new Lino flooring and just cover cupboard doors with vinyl as a tempory fix for a year or 2 then just fresh coat if pain and new blind!

What you all think?

winklewoman Fri 07-Mar-14 05:56:43

Not sure what sort of vinyl you are talking about. Do you mean the sticky back plastic sort? If so I don't think it would look good for long, if at all. The edges would get tatty quickly.

Chanatan Fri 07-Mar-14 06:36:30

I once covered ceramic tiles with Fablon,looked good and were still looking good when I replaced the tiles 2 years later.

winklewoman Fri 07-Mar-14 12:01:26

The reason why I am dubious is because my mum bought a beautiful, huge victorian pine bookcase, shelves with glass doors on top, cupboards below, and proceeded to cover every bit in Fablon, that popular green linen/tiny check version, as she wanted to station it in the kitchen. It never looked smart and over the years became even less so. Eventually she had her kitchen refitted and gave me the piece. We got every scrap of fablon off, restored the wood and now it looks very handsome as a bookcase on the landing. So I am prejudiced, sorry.

jazzyjazzy Thu 29-May-14 19:52:33

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

HappydaysArehere Sat 07-Jun-14 20:46:36

Would you feel happy about painting them. You can get paint which covers melamine or acrylic type paint might do a good job. I used eggshell on wardrobe cupboards and that was very successful. I recall my efforts with fablon etc years ago. It's not a happy memory. You can always try paint out on inside cupboard door.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now