Shower cleaning routine - will you share yours pls?

(19 Posts)
MrsMargoLeadbetter Mon 03-Mar-14 10:28:06

Having only had a bath with a shower head and screen...I find myself struggling to work out how to best clean our new shower in our new loft bathroom.

I think part of the problem is there isn't loads of space as the door to the shower and the sink are fairly near each other, so it feels a bit awkward trying to get in there to clean. I also find trying to clean it with the shower head ends up making more mess/splashes etc.

Could I ask you you clean your shower cubicle? We have 2 sides of glass, 2 sides of tiled wall.

TIA

We squeegee the glass after every shower, which stops it from getting too bad - and you're in there, naked, and the glass isn't freezing cold if you bump up against it!

When I'm cleaning the bathroom, I kneel and lean in with a cloth and some Cif to wipe over the tray.

When the glass gets opaque, I put on shorts and flipflops and attack it with some Viakal then spray it off with the shower, trying to keep a cloth at the top so it doesn't spray out of the enclosure. I sometimes do the tiles as well, but they don't usually get too bad. But we have soft water, so it's not like some areas!

take cleaning stuff in the shower with you and do the walls/glass while you are getting washed. Do the tray any time you want (I kneel outside the enclosure for that)

onepieceoflollipop Mon 03-Mar-14 10:55:25

We have a similar shower to you. We also squegee it (basic one from Lakeland) every day after dh and I have both showered. I squeegee the door while I am in it to save dripping on the floor. I just lean in for the rest.
Every few weeks i kneel down and scrub the tray and degunk the plug hole. Less frequently (I am lazy) I squirt mould/mildew remover over all the tiles and give it a good scrub and rinse. also I use a damp eco cloth on the glass inside and out, and polish it dry with an old but clean tea towel.

Mrswellyboot Mon 03-Mar-14 10:56:59

I love lidl limescale remover for the glass

About once a week I fire a load of Flash gel around the whole of the inside of the cubicle. I leave it about an hour and then get in the shower and clean it with a scouring pad, have a shower, get out and polish dry with an e cloth. The e cloth does the outside well enough on its own.
The flash gel brings it up really nice, I discovered it by accident when I had nothing else left to clean the bathroom with one day.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Mon 03-Mar-14 15:52:15

Oooh thanks everyone, lots of good tips.

We have been squeegeeing every day so it doesn't look too bad.

Look like cleaning whilst in the shower is the way ahead!

Thanks again.

mrssnodge Wed 05-Mar-14 11:18:20

asda mullti surface cleaner 88p- the one with green top - discovered by accident too- after trying allsorts- spray small amount, wipe with dry e cloth- sparkling!!!

Mintymoomoo Thu 06-Mar-14 21:50:24

I have done cleaning for a living for many years and always spray whole shower, scrub tray, take off socks climb in and wipe down walls/glass, then hold shower head turn on and wash down, I never get wet!!!! I like to then spray shower shine on glass cuts down on streaks then buff up chrome fitting it microfiber (dry) cloth, hope out dry feet and put socks back on

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 11-Mar-14 23:45:53

Use white vinegar spray got the glass, works a treat!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 11-Mar-14 23:46:09

For

nutcasenan Wed 12-Mar-14 15:34:59

I can see a small area of mould on the sealant on the corner of the shower tray. Concerned about messing up sealant if I scrub. Don't wish to encourage a leak but don't want the mould to spread. Has anyone got any ideas on the subject as I would be grateful for any input.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 12-Mar-14 15:37:00

HG mould remover. Cover a piece of cotton wool in it and ram it in the corner and leave it all day with the windows open as it's very strong. Works a treat smile

nutcasenan Sat 15-Mar-14 22:51:42

Thanks a lot. Sounds a good idea. Not heard of HG mould remover but if I can't find it I will try to find an alternative.

80sMum Sat 15-Mar-14 23:03:33

Every time the shower is used, we remove all the water from the surfaces. That way there are no water marks and no build up of limescale.
Our shower is now over 4 years old and looks like new. I have never used a descaling product on it (and our water is very hard).

So, you squeegee the screen after every shower, then finish drying it with a towel till completely dry; use a towel to completely dry all taps, handles, etc.

Clean the tray every so often with a proprietary bathroom cleaner.

80sMum Sat 15-Mar-14 23:08:55

You should never have any mould to remove, so you won't need any mould remover. The secret of mould prevention isn't really a secret, it's simply ventilation.

After each shower or bath, open the window or leave the extraction fan on, then ensure the room is warm (keep it heated) and close the door. That ensures firstly that condensation doesn't affect the rest of the house and, secondly, that the bathroom is never wet enough for long enough for mould to start.

higgle Tue 18-Mar-14 13:50:44

When I shower I clean the whole of the inside with cream cleaner and rinse down. I leave the shower door and the window open. No mould, gleaming shower. I polish the outside of the cubicle with Mr Sheen or similar once a week. ( I polish everything in the bathroom)

jordanrwood14 Wed 04-Jun-14 15:45:31

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

jordanrwood14 Wed 04-Jun-14 15:46:54

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now