The march towards Minimalism continues...

(758 Posts)
MissAnnersleyismyhero Tue 04-Feb-14 08:29:22

Hey all, thought I'd make a new thread to encourage us all to keep going on the journey to minimalism! smile

andsmileitschristmas Mon 24-Nov-14 10:16:44

minisoks thanks for letting me know Im not alone.

Well DH did ballet first thing Sat and when he came back he had a list to work through. Laundry, paperwork, rubbish and recylcing. I got on and did my decorating in DS room. I heard him juggling kids demands for toys/snacks/paints whilst trying to hang washing. He said he was knackered and wouldbe going back to work for a rest shock grin

Yesterday we put loft bed together so I feel I'm on the verge of putting the room back together intentionally - this will be our first truely clutter free room.

Minisoksmakehardwork Mon 24-Nov-14 08:30:46

Andsmile - that state of our house very definitely matches the state of my mind so yep, you could be right.

andsmileitschristmas Fri 21-Nov-14 18:42:08

clearme thanks - Ive had a bit of a cry to DH he said 'you need a night out' hmm and he has offered to help this weekend to help get the bigger jobs moving. I just havnt got the energy to nag/organise others into action either.

I am in a maintenance dose for vitD and if my b12 is low can affect me. Im prone to getting like this and i know I'll get myself back on the bike so to speak..its just well can one really get like this because of a blooming house and its clutter....I keep feeling very annoyed about notbeing able to get clothes dry.

I'm gonna write a list and say to DH to just pick jobs and do them.

clearsommespace Fri 21-Nov-14 16:45:08

Oh dear, rather a clash between your post and username there!

It's probably one of those chicken and egg situations.

Or maybe it's just the time of year, it's suddenly got cold and grey. I don't seem to be lounging more than usual but things I'm responsible for haven't been running smoothly. We have been grabbing clean and barely dry clothes off the airer in the mornings and realising we've run out of basics like bread and milk too often. I have been suffering from insomnia too.

At least internet browsing is silent and can be done while the house sleeps. DDs birthday is coming up and I've also started Christmas shopping which is even more time consuming with all the extra (not wasteful, not cluttering on top of the usual will it give pleasure) thought I'm putting into the gifts I buy.

Anyway, I have come up with a stocking filler idea that I'm pretty pleased with: silicon fairy cake cases and some cake decorations. The cake cases look like a rainbow in the packet so it looks pretty, they will replace the paper cases in the cupboard so not take up any more space and it's like a promise to do baking with the DCs.

I hope you feel better soon.

andsmileitschristmas Fri 21-Nov-14 16:12:38

I am really down and the house is appalling - it one of those weeks where people have had to hunt around for clean socks and underwear.

Everything is in disarray.

I have not made progress with DS room as had a cough, not been able to sleep but strangely feel like I could take on the world at 1am - but can't do anything as everyone is asleep then the next day im just vegged out.

Can I be this sensitive to a messy cluttered house or is that a symptom of how I feel. I just wondered as avide declutters if anyone else feels like this?

JimmyCorkhill Tue 18-Nov-14 12:39:29

Hurrah, the recycling van is really late today so all the junk mail I received today has gone straight out to the green box!! Sticking it to the man grin

andsmileitschristmas Tue 18-Nov-14 10:14:14

Little update

DS room empty completely and half decorated. I'm really looking forward o just putting items back intentionally. The new wardrobe will reduce clutter elsewhere.

Looking forward to having one room minimalist - by our standards anyway grin

I fnd I'm still having to prod and remind DH about what I'm trying to do.

erin99 Mon 17-Nov-14 21:28:02

Thank you Larry, I will look at that. It feels almost decadent to be buying one now but there are some deals around and it would help with christmas.

larryphilanddave Mon 17-Nov-14 20:26:36

erin I've never had a food processor but Kenwood do good processors with a small footprint but still have a decent capacity, and you can attach different bits to the base if you want different functions but it's still compact. I think it's called a Multipro, a relative has one and uses it for soups, pastries etc every week and says it works brilliantly. Cost somewhere in the region of £50-70. She just has the processor attachment as she doesn't need any of the other stuff.

I kept a note of it as I want one grin Not until I have more space though, even though it would help a lot the space is too small here and it would end up being crammed in a less accessible space and therefore not used in the end.

erin99 Mon 17-Nov-14 13:43:17

Aw Jimmy that's one of the things I found hardest too.

Not much progress here and with christmas and DCs' birthdays coming soon there are challenging times ahead.

Our food processor broke yesterday and I need to replace it before christmas. Any minimalist recommendations appreciated! Thinking of a mixer and food processor in one, as I used to make a lot of cakes in my food processor, but arguably just a basic food processor should do the job.

JimmyCorkhill Mon 17-Nov-14 12:47:36

The cotbed has gone. The cotbed has gone - waaaaaah! We were planning to sell it but hadn't really got round to it. On Sunday I noticed someone local on 'Preloved' was looking for one and that's it, gone. The space is fab but my cotbed has goooone, sob sob.

andsmile Fri 14-Nov-14 10:00:05

larryphil thanks for sharing your story - only just read it and it's just what I needed to keep me going.

andsmile Fri 14-Nov-14 09:47:22

thanks clearmesomespace -I know you are right, we did clear out a lot of well rubbish in the summer from his room and we decided then what woudl go - DS is already spending the money he is going to get from selling his toys - apparently it will be enough to get a tablet!

But..today I have woke up feeling worse than yesterday definately got a throaty-cold now. Kitchen is backed up, laundry is sky high - this is because I was busy decorating... Well it been worse I will get there.

I think it fair to say I though a couple of good 'chucking out' days and I'd be all minimal - but it just doesnt work like that. I now look at out posessions very differently and I know some should go but I get stuck because I do that thing of but they are nice/handy/presents/ eg Indian style plates for when we have a curry - we dont even bother to get them down most of the time!

clearsommespace Fri 14-Nov-14 07:55:39

Hang on in there! When you've finished and are putting the stuff back in it'll be an excellent opportunity to go through it again and I'm sure you'll be extra-thorough, having a newly decorated room. The stuff will have to truly merit its place!

andsmile Thu 13-Nov-14 14:33:43

I feel completely over whelmed again. I am midst piles as decorating a room.

Its one of those days when I look at all the stuff and mess and feel quite down about it.

You'd think I had not chucked anything away at all.

clearsommespace Thu 13-Nov-14 12:17:04

That's really inspiring! Hopefully in a couple of year's time we'll be where you are now! We have replaced our microwave and there's been no interest in the old one so next week I'll be dropping it off at the charity for victims of domestic violence setting up new homes.

larryphilanddave Thu 13-Nov-14 10:12:53

It has been quite wonderful to be able to say that we're so close, seemingly, although I feel that this will always be an ongoing thing - seeing what goes in and out, re-evaluating what we need or love.

However it's been a slow and steady process. The first time we actually considered getting rid of things/not needing everything that we had was about 4 years ago. We had a lot of things stored because we lived in such a tiny place that we could only have the bare essentials out. DH just looked at me one day and said, "Clearly we don't need the rest, we might as well just get rid of it all". I was a bit shock as I was the one with attachment issues to material goods, he has always been very easygoing with ownership; when we moved in together the vast majority of stuff was mine, when I met him he only owned a computer and a small suitcase of clothes. And when he had more, he gave stuff away all the time! I couldn't 'get' it then, it made me uneasy if I'm honest.

We started to shed things, moved again, and found we still had so much stuff stored even though we had a bigger place and more things in use, and had already given away other things (including furniture). So we started going through stuff again and shedding again. Then we moved, again, and got rid of lots with the move (especially furniture).

And then, we found we still had far too much stuff! And that is around the same time I discovered MN grin When I found the minimalism threads I started reading, and it helped motivate me to consider everything in a different way, it was like it helped me to see the clutter properly - it's not just about the obvious, a lot of it wasn't obvious, like the ridiculously huge stash of make up I had when I use the same 5 items all of the time.

Then we moved again grin That was the final big push to clear out our stuff, because this time we benefitted from a slight overlap, so we could just put in what we knew we definitely needed and wanted, and then brought the rest slowly getting rid of the unnecessary - although we still managed to bring a fair amount of useless stuff. It has been during this year that I have been dealing with the final items (DIY mess is now resolved, cables are organised, paperwork all sensible, kitchen appliances relevant etc) and how we've managed to get to what I think is nearly completely sorted.

I think it's inevitable that we may have little bits here and there that we don't really need - I have found some white ribbon I'm not entirely sure what to do with, for example - but nothing major, and nothing that makes us feel fed up. And having DC means that there will be inevitable questions over clothes, toys, school things etc as those stages arise.

Sorry this is so long but I guess I just wanted to share our process so far, that it was a stop/start thing, that it wasn't a concerted effort throughout but grew with time, especially with these threads, and although it has taken a while to get to this point it didn't feel like it was dragging every day. I think because with each step forward it felt better which bought us some time of feeling comfortable before seeing the further clutter, so it didn't feel like it was just taking ages.

clearsommespace Wed 12-Nov-14 09:27:09

So did the badge turn up?

Yesterday was a bank holiday here so we went to the commemoration ceremony and then to PILs for lunch. Very relaxing.

They have a huge basement full of stuff. FIL is an organised hoarder. He keeps nearly everything but he can always lay his hands on a particular when you need something. It will be a mammoth task to empty their house when they are gone. Anyway, PIL asked for advice on how to use a particular web site to sell some old magazines which are apparently collectible. He may just be in it for the money but I hope that it is a first step to him sorting out ALL the things that he thought it would be useful to keep but haven't turned out to be. (Other grandkids recently said no thanks to the 1970s books about space for school projects. The information online is obv more up to date with more accessible presentation.)

Minisoksmakehardwork Mon 10-Nov-14 10:39:27

And I'm back. Having broken my promise to throw out broken toys. In my defence, it is the wooden railway station for the wooden train set. Heck knows how but the dc have split the base in half!

Last Monday I managed to declutter a large chunk of the bottom of our bed pile. Simply by putting clothes away! And got rid of 2 bags of rubbish.

I never did get round to sorting my shelves out so that is today's job. We've lost dd's school council member badge plus all sorts of small things keep getting shoved on there and dts can still reach them.

Anyway. Have refreshed myself with the thread, which has strengthened my resolve to crack this before December arrives. I need a clutter free house. It's driving me mad and not helping dc at all.

Oh, and we've now been told ds1 is hyperactive/impulsive adhd. So a clear house space will hopefully help him too!

evertonmint Mon 10-Nov-14 06:43:04

Clearsomme - yep, that's very typical of our weekend. A lot with the kids and a lot of chores but very little down time. DH and I did sneak 15 mins with a cuppa on the garden bench together in yesterday's surprisingly lovely sunshine while all 3 (even the clingy baby!) were happily playing with things.

When I say "things", for the older 2 that actually means paper, pencils, glue eggoboxes, sequins and scissors. I really wish I had the courage to get rid of 90% of their toys because they spend most of their time drawing and cutting and gluing anyway.

clearsommespace Sun 09-Nov-14 20:14:18

Must feel great to be able to say that Larry.
Sold our Trofast unit today. I've also almost finished emptying the piece of furniture which will have to go when we have the wood burner installed. I did tidy it in 2013 when I started on these threads but it was definitely in need of a second sweep.
I don't seem to have stopped in the daytime this weekend. I'd like to find more time to chill out with the kids but the life seems so busy.
Saturday I went to the market for fruit and veg. Then cleaned the kitchen and nagged the kids to get washed. I attended a lunchtime exercise class (usually a weeknight event but I won't be able to make it this week). Early afternoon I picked DS up from his activity (Dh took him). Then I decluttered and ironed while DD and friends did Hama beads. Then took DD shopping for winter boots while DH and DS did a bit of DIY and watched an action movie. Dinner and bedtime cuddles. Today helped DC with homework then took DD and her friend ice-skating then after lunch baked a cake with DS, planted some bulbs and then we played board game as a family then it was dinner time. Actually writing that down I realise I did a lot with the kids but it was all doing things. Not much stopping to smell the roses IYSWIM. I don't know how to find time for that! (although we've done a fair bit of stopping to stroke the cats). I wonder if weekends are like this for everyone with pre-teens!

larryphilanddave Sun 09-Nov-14 17:03:14

Jimmy YY to decamping things to elsewhere, it has worked for us. Typically in the bedroom I put things on the bed, so they have to be sorted before going to sleep! Otherwise things go in the hallway near the front door, that way they're nearly out to donate/bins. Even though it clutters the hall I don't mind because I don't 'live' in the hall in the same way I do the rest of the house, yet it is a constant reminder as it's in an obvious place so it gets dealt with quite quickly.

Sorted out our bedroom almost, a few bits left in terms of some bags to sort for which I need DH's help. However reorganised shoes so that they're in a more practical location, stored some things under the bed and some others in our small understairs storage area (it's closed off, so it can't be seen). The loft shall never be touched grin As far as I'm concerned it's just the insulation space. Hard enough getting into the understairs space!

Chucked out lots of old boxes and random bits and sorted storage for textbooks - still in use or relevant, got rid of other books a while back. Have replaced some items in the house with immediate eviction of the old - new scales so old ones gone, new beaker so old one gone, etc. Pretty much ready for DC2 shock About 10x more ready than we were for DC1!

Reviewed the wardrobe but everything is up to date, however need to go through drawers and see what isn't being used as I have a feeling there are a couple of bits that no longer see light. On the other hand having stripped away a fair amount we can see now where we do need to have a bit more, so we just bought a bit more cutlery as we were having to wash up the cutlery regularly throughout the day just for the two of us! No idea how we ended up with so few forks so I finally caved and let DH get a few more smile

Feeling remarkably organised, tbh. We don't seem to own much in the way of rubbish... confused

andsmile Sat 08-Nov-14 17:49:58

ooo - i have books...

Well - I've just spent 2 hours inputting ISBN numbers of teaching/educational books I no longer need into WeBuyBooks. I seem to have made £30! Usually my stuff has never sold (on EBAY etc) so I'm pretty happy. Now I need to finda box big enough to pack them up in!

andsmile Fri 07-Nov-14 09:29:02

Thanks jimmy I think I'll try that with kitchen.

Think DH is going to be on the ball this weekend and help me do DS's room - so we will be moving everything out to decorate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now