I had a (very sad) eureka moment this morning

(58 Posts)
mermaidbutmytailfelloff Sun 12-Jan-14 14:43:15

I rediscovered old fashioned cream cleaner. For years I splashed out on expensive spray cleaners for the bathroom and kitchen and decided I was just a slatternly bint because nothing ever felt really clean.

Today I spent 99p on a bottle of cream cleaner, what a revelation! my sink sparkles, my bath is a different colour I am sure, miraculous. Yes I had to rinse but nothing that caused any problems.

I am stupidly pleased and thought I would share.

cantthinkofagoodone Tue 14-Jan-14 12:25:27

It is the best thing on the kitchen hob too. I just alternate between that and dettol spray to avoid a build up.

chocoluvva Tue 14-Jan-14 12:24:47

Wow - what a blast from the past! smile

I bathed in Vim too.

Does that mean that bath cubes would be good at cleaning? grin

Catilla Tue 14-Jan-14 12:19:51

On the reminiscing theme... whenever I see "Ajax" I remember an advert where they said the name backwards "Xaja Diquil" - wondered if I was imagining it but found it here www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tiPpdSkEIA
The idea seemed to be it made your surfaces so shiny it reflected the name on the bottle into mirror writing! Anyone else this sad?!

iggymama Tue 14-Jan-14 11:58:34

Minniebar, have you tried dishwasher tablets to clean your bath jets? Kim and Aggie did this once with great success.

Rooners Tue 14-Jan-14 11:31:45

Be careful, I'm not sure but think some surfaces can be damaged by certain cleaning agents.

I never use anything on our enamel bath except water. I may use a little limescale remover at some point but am nervous about it....

poopooheadwillyfatface Tue 14-Jan-14 10:05:40

Well I am mning in the bath and a bottle of Cif I found in my garage is on the side for when I get out grin got a buffing cloth and Windolene out in the kitchen and I might even open the box of oven prideshock later.
my house is well overdue a good sort out so this might spur me on a bit

Seabright Tue 14-Jan-14 10:00:41

If you can't use Vim (plastic bath) then try HG Bath Shine, it's fab & lasts forever as you only use a tiny amount.

You can get it from Lakeland, Amazon or little hardware shops.

RudyMentary Tue 14-Jan-14 08:58:53

Ajax - I remember Ajax grin

Weelady77 Tue 14-Jan-14 08:55:37

Lyndacarter thats a fab idea about the exfoliating gloves smile will definitely try that

JeanSeberg Tue 14-Jan-14 07:54:16

Ps. You shop at all the right places, keep up the good work.

JeanSeberg Tue 14-Jan-14 07:53:01

Woah poopoo I might be a tube of retro Vim for my mantelpiec!. That would be ok wouldn't it?

poopooheadwillyfatface Tue 14-Jan-14 07:50:00

yy the Vim appeared to be in a card tube with big holes in the top to shake it out of, very retrogrin
I also bought a tube of denture tablets for the limescale in the toilet.
Felt like my shopping basket was totally outing me
Esp when I also called at Aldi for pasta bake sauce afterwards. Aldi doesn't seem to do a cream cleaner though? Jif type?
I really like another Home Bargains product for my sink, the blue tub of Astonish oven and cookware paste. poundshop or home bargains IIRC

minniebar Tue 14-Jan-14 07:27:49

Our bath has jets in it (which, of course, we never use). Said jets are skanky with limescale and of course the spray stuff just falls out again. I've tried soaking cotton wool in limescale remover stuff but no joy. Would you recommend cream/Vim or do you think it'd be too abrasive? Plastic jets, obv.

Pumpkin567 Tue 14-Jan-14 07:05:27

Ajax! Surely I'm not that old.

runningonwillpower Mon 13-Jan-14 20:57:08

Vim - I can close my eyes and smell it.

But I'm not rushing out to buy. I'm into e cloths. Bloody fantastic and no nasty chemical smells or residue.

JeanSeberg Mon 13-Jan-14 20:52:58

Ooh was it proper vintage-style Vim in a cardboard tube? <hopeful>

SirChenjin Mon 13-Jan-14 20:52:35

They still make windolene? shock I'm off to Home Bargains, this is brilliant - Vim and Windolene <happy place>

poopooheadwillyfatface Mon 13-Jan-14 20:47:27

You bastards made me go to Home and Bargain today.

I got a bottle of purple Windolene for £1.99 (500ml) and looked at the Vim (69p) but didn't buy it as my bath is plastic.

I also got loads of tat and sweets we didn't need

SirChenjin Sun 12-Jan-14 20:30:44

Brilliant - thanks e1y1 smile

Wow Crikey shock

Crikeyblimey Sun 12-Jan-14 20:12:43

Slightly off topic but I used to work with a woman whose aunt murdered her (the aunt's) husband by putting vim in his mash potato.

e1y1 Sun 12-Jan-14 20:07:33

Good news - you can still buy Vim.

I have 4 bottles of it.

It's 69 (or 79p) not 100% in home bargains.

JeanSeberg Sun 12-Jan-14 17:19:54

Aah nostalgia.

SirChenjin Sun 12-Jan-14 17:03:02

Know how you feel...I have an overwhelming urge to go an shake some Vim at my bath from a cardboard container with a metal lid grin

BankWadger Sun 12-Jan-14 16:45:41

Why do I know want to go and clean my bathroom? I've been using cif cream stuff for ages because yep, spray bubbles stuff is shit. But really I have an over whelming urge to go clean my tiles!

Lilymaid Sun 12-Jan-14 16:45:06

Rusty I think our DMs may have been fellow middle class mothers "keeping up appearances". I could list a load of brands that were "nicer" than others!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now