Ideas for something to store recycling in

(13 Posts)
HiccupHaddockHorrendous Thu 02-Jan-14 17:23:43

For various (boring) reasons, I want to find some kind of storage container to keep the recycling in until collection day. The space I have in mind is where the under-counter fridge used to be but only half the height (because the cool box is also stored there).

Any suggestions? If possible, would like three different compartments but appreciate that might be a stretch too far grin!!

Aliama Thu 02-Jan-14 18:10:50

Ikea do a pack of 3 waste sorting bins in the ratio ell range for £9. They're 29cm high - is that about right? Can't figure out how to copy and paste the URL on the iPad cause I'm useless, but the code thing is 001.574.11

Aliama Thu 02-Jan-14 18:11:58

Ugh, that was meant to be 'rationell'

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Thu 02-Jan-14 18:53:23

Brilliant, thank you! I think a trip to ikea is in order...I'd better wait until the big declutter is complete incase I need any other random storage solution grin

I store recycling in a spare mop bucket under the kitchen sink. I don't sort it, someone else is paid to do that, I tip it into the recycling box the council provide frequently through the week which is kept by the wheelies.
Use something you already have would be my suggestion.

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Fri 03-Jan-14 09:24:58

I no longer have a mop bucket, never mind a spare one grin...I'm in the middle of halving the contents of my house and anything not in use is going...including the mop and bucket!!

I probably do have something suitable to store the recycling in. We have to sort it all out into 4 difference bins, outside. The paper box is always wet and soggy so I like to store the paper inside until collection day to minimise the soggy paper left behind after it's been emptied. Also, to put anything out involves me putting shoes on and I just can't be bothered to do that multiple times a day...did I mention my reasons were boring grin?!

I have found a plastic, folding basket that I could use as a temporary solution and see how that works before taking a trip to ikea.

greenhill Fri 03-Jan-14 09:45:19

I use a primark paper bag to store my loose paper in before shaking it into the paper recycling box. It's cheap to buy a replacement too!

Enb76 Fri 03-Jan-14 09:48:11

I use a folding Waitrose car bag/box that I purloined from my mother. Has handles. A friend uses an old bucket. I have to empty mine about twice a week, she empties hers every night.

iwantavuvezela Fri 03-Jan-14 09:50:20

I use one of the plastic boxes you can buy from pound shops, where i throw all the recyling in, and tip it out daily into the big bin. I have a space under a table that it goes for easy tossing of items in! Other than that i have also used those nice strong shopping bags which go under the kitchen counter!

ChasingSquirrels Fri 03-Jan-14 09:57:51

We have just moved to all-dry-recycling-in-a-single-wheelie-bin collections, so I now throw everything in the large plastic box that we previously had for paper and empty it into the wheelie bin every few days.
Garden/kitchen waste goes in another wheelie bin and I have an icecream tub for the kitchen bits which I empty out every day or so.

Previously I had the plastic box for paper, and 2 plastic bags on hooks under the counter (similar sized space, but the paper box filled the bottom half) for tins and glass - they were collected in the plastic bags.
Also had plastic bags for tetra paks and plastic bottles - these had to be taken somewhere.
Plus a brown paper sack for garden and kitchen waste.
Plus a black bin bag for non recyclable rubbish.

Much prefer the new arrangements, but it seems mad to go from separating rubbish at source to collecting it all mingled up and sorting later.

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Fri 03-Jan-14 13:45:30

I wish ours all went in one bin/box. There's a wheelie bin for garden waste/cardboard, a bag for plastics, a box for paper, a different box for tin and glass, another wheelie bin for general waste and the food waste caddy/bin.

Greenhill - I fill a primark bag with paper and chuck the whole lot in the recycle box in the hope that it all gets cleared when collected.

greenhill Fri 03-Jan-14 16:04:03

Great minds think alike haddock smile

We've got a blue bin for glass, metal and plastics, a green box for paper and card and a green bin for garden waste with a small brown one for kitchen waste.

This is new though, previously we had to take glass and aluminium to recycling centres and a small black box couldn't cope with all the plastics. I use our greenhouse as a recycling storage point as our kitchen is too small, but when it rains there are great piles of it clogging up the surfaces too.

I was looking for a receipt today (ripped seam on new trousers) but the paper recycling was soaked through. I hope the shop will replace the trousers sad

Showtime Fri 03-Jan-14 21:20:59

I've a polished wooden box in the hall, where I can hide a couple of cardboard boxes for recycling stuff and empty them into wheelie-bins when full - there's a lacy cloth on top plus change pot and space for letters to post etc, so looks like furniture.

Finding a space to store glass before moving it out was a problem, but now I use a strong carrier which lives on floor of car behind driver's seat and saves having to remember to take it to recycle bins or supermarket. Rinsing bottles etc means they don't smell and no room to roll.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now