Budget

(4 Posts)
Aaliyah1 Mon 30-Dec-13 21:10:13

How do you guys do it!? I'm trying to set a budget for weekly household expenses. I'm talking mostly food etc. Do you need to have a weekly menu of what to make to be able to do an efficient job?

Also there are 3 adults in our house- what would be a reasonable amount to spend in food for the week? I seem to spend Loads and don't know how to cut down sad

Any tips???

Mum2Fergus Mon 30-Dec-13 21:17:28

I find meal planning helps me, and withdrawing my weekly budget in cash-once it's gone it's gone, no top-ups or using debit card.

I spend approx £50-£75pw for DS, DP and myself.

Aaliyah1 Mon 30-Dec-13 21:23:23

This week I've decided to write everything down and have a rough meal plan in mind. I've spent £55 so far and I know there will be a few additional things because I've forgotten some things hmm

Mum2Fergus Mon 30-Dec-13 21:35:39

If I was starting from scratch would suggest you list all your fridge/freezer/cupboard contents and use them all up first (fridge especially, use up fresh ingredients, freeze what you can, don't be throwing anything out).

Batch cook and freeze for the days you CBA.

I cook a whole chicken on say Sunday and have a roast, Monday I strip chicken and make chicken/mushroom/tarragon pie...Wed will be soup with the carcass. Think of what meals you all like and try to plan those with similar ingredients together on your meal plan.

I bulk buy what I can too...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now