Towel drying??

(36 Posts)
Weelady77 Sun 29-Dec-13 17:02:05

Was wondering, those who don't wash towels after every time you use them how do you dry them??

I wash my towels after every 2nd use unless boys have been playing football and were really dirty! Cause if I didn't that would be 5/6 towels per day!
Normally I hang up on a towel rail that hangs behind my bathroom door but there not really drying as only have heating on at night!
My radiators aren't the biggest either to hang them on
I was either going to buy a small clothes horse or wait till everyone's showered and bung them in the tumble dryer for 20/25 mins to dry them off!

Showtime - I also have a few of those 'flat' towels. We got them for swimming and hols as they pack small and dry so quickly but are in use all the time at hom too.

To the OP, we have a row of hooks on the back of the bathroom door, a towel rail (unheated) in the bathroom and also will put towels over the side of the bath. Me and the kids have cotton towelling bathrobes. Cant say I've ever had an issue wondering what to do with them between uses, we just pick one up and use it!

PigletJohn Mon 30-Dec-13 19:54:32

I think it is important to have the towels well spaced out and spread so that air can circulate and dry them. At one time I used a curtain pole screwed to the wall over the bath, I suppose about 6 ft long. It made quite a good towel rail. With lots of towels you need lots of rails.

Weelady77 Mon 30-Dec-13 19:58:02

That's the problem pigletjohn there's no room in this house!! In my old house it was fab loads of huge radiators and bannister lol!
Surely if I put them in the tumbledryer it wouldn't cause contamination if it was on a hot heat??

cakebar Mon 30-Dec-13 19:59:24

We put them over doors. Looks crap, but you get dry towels.

Weelady77 Mon 30-Dec-13 20:00:57

Cakebar I'm a freak I couldn't put them over doors, all my friends do it but I couldn't

Showtime Mon 30-Dec-13 22:51:47

John Lewis or similar department stores might have the "flat" towels, (I think they're linen), but I've collected most of mine from charity shops. Glad to see Flibbertyjibbet's discovered these practical towels too -give them a go!

Weelady77 Mon 30-Dec-13 23:08:55

I had Italian students a few years ago and they had like microfibre towels they wouldn't let me wash them for them the 2 weeks they stayed with me, I seen them in decathlon last week might get 5 of those smile

mousmous Mon 30-Dec-13 23:17:39

we have those decathlon ones for swimming and camping.
they are fab.
just not as comfy, flannelly, warm as ordinary towels.

Weelady77 Mon 30-Dec-13 23:27:02

I've just ordered a freestanding towel stand it got good reviews fingers crossed this works! I'm going to get some of those towels for swimming and holidays

dizhin79 Mon 30-Dec-13 23:51:21

what about one of those old fashioned pulleymaids? The ones you fasten to the ceiling and ascend / descend on a pulley?

PigletJohn Tue 31-Dec-13 00:05:39

if there really is no room in the bathroom for additional towel rails, I suppose you could put a towel rail in each bedroom.

It will then be even more important than usual to ventilate the bedrooms well, or you will get condensation, damp and mould.

If you have a tumble drier then that would be a workable option, but more costly. A typical modern tumbledrier might cost 50p to dry a full load (6kg - 8kg) of wet cotton, but I presume the towels will be damp rather than wet, and will not add up to a full load. Cotton dried quickly at high heat should also prevent any damp smells and will kill e.g. insects and eggs as you can use it to destroy moth infestation. I don't know if it is hot enough to kill bacteria.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now