The big declutter!!

(219 Posts)
HiccupHaddockHorrendous Sat 28-Dec-13 16:41:44

Today is day 1 of my big declutter and so far I have done...nothing blush

Actually, that's not true. Ds and I went to town and bought a new shredder (I broke the last one by accidentally putting a plastic decoration in it!!).

I did have a head start and cleared a couple of cupboards last night but I really need to get off my backside and get decluttering.

I have 5 days 4 now to sort out my house. It has to be done.

For the next two hours, I am going to declutter the bathroom and get the washing on.

Anyone with me?

Ooh can I join in too! My house is awful for clutter! I've got a whole bedroom upstairs full of stuff that needs sorting. I was good today though. My mum watched dd so I could do the kitchen. I could not believe it when there were ten/eleven binbags in the garden when I was done shock Kitchen looks so clean now (bar the washing up from tea tut tut) and it makes me go aaaaah when I walk in. Just need to maintain it while tackling the others now. Maintaining is the hardest bit I find!

Spottybra Sun 29-Dec-13 17:45:58

I've done it! I stopped counting at 15 bin bags. I missed the triple wardrobe, the outhouses and the dining room. But I have done 3 bedrooms plus drawers and all the other wardrobes, the bathroom, the sitting room and the kitchen. I've had a tidy in the dining room but its mostly arts and crafts stuff in there and the bloody massive 8 seater table (why did I think we'd need a table that big post children? I can't remember the last time I invited people to supper never mind a dinner!)

So, dump/tip runs tomorrow and the dining room and outhouses sometime soon.

Off to go an appreciate my clutterless and almost immaculate bedroom.

I started at 6:30am. I have just decided to open the wine and call it a day whilst I cook dinner.

Spottybra Sun 29-Dec-13 17:48:22

This includes moving all the beds and changing the sheets and hoovering underneath the beds as well.

patchesmcp Sun 29-Dec-13 18:52:29

Wow Spotty, I'm really impressed and envy
We've done a bit today, but not a lot. The Christmas decorations are down and in the loft and we've starting on decluttering the lounge.

We're trying to get the house ready to go on the market and we need to get all the little diy jobs done too, although it's difficult with a 2.10 year old and a 7 month old. Luckily the baby isn't crawling yet, as it'll just get harder when she is.

Nursery re-opens on Friday so I'll be able to make a proper start when DS is being entertained there all day [hopeful]

EBearhug Sun 29-Dec-13 18:58:38

In the last few days, I have shredded enough old statements and receipts to fill two full bin bags (nothing like that much when it was all intact paper, I'm sure...) And today I have been through my wardrobe, and have two bin bags full for charity.

It's the first time in months and months when I've had time off and not been busy with other stuff (away at weekends, on holiday, studying, gardening,) and it's been good to do some of the stuff round the house.

I know it wouldn't look like it to anyone else coming in, but I do feel I've achieved quite a bit. I don't think I've been through my wardrobe since around the time my mother died, so over 4 years ago.

A lot of it is emotional blocks, rather than anything else.

NK5BM3 Sun 29-Dec-13 19:35:10

Thanks missmapp! Well, I think I'm done for today. I stopped at about 5pm to cook dinner, and by then I had 4 bin bag sized bags of stuff to charity shop/bin. So I'm happy. Whilst I've been in the bath, dh cleared up the mess from the Christmas gifts/me decluttering and the living/dining room looks less explosive. I will have another 5 days or so to tackle the house and I'm hopeful there will be an impact. I will also do the clothes although I did tackle the kids wardrobes before we went away and got rid of 2 bags of clothes...

Will get dh to get rid of some clothes and I'll try and be ruthless and get rid of old knackered looking stuff (but oh so comfy!!).

Dh now talking about buying a little table for the kids room. I'm freaking out.

well I finished off the drawers and attacked the bif wardrobe today. I have about 5 black bags to take to cash for clothes and another for ebay and one for tip. not even started on spare room but really impressed. I bet its about 10 years since I last completely emptied my wardrobe. Even throwing away some handbags as been through those too. Annoyed at dh as hes just sat and played on web all day today and yesterday and kept coming in to me but I've not let him distract me. spare room tomorrow. I feel fab that its done and I've not wasted my holidays.

EBearhug Mon 30-Dec-13 01:39:26

I have also worked through my sewing pile this evening, so that is another pile I can put away.

PenguinBear Mon 30-Dec-13 08:32:51

Any

PenguinBear Mon 30-Dec-13 08:33:57

Anyone have any tips on towels? There isn't space to store in the airing cupboard like our old house and we have about 20!!

littone Mon 30-Dec-13 09:33:01

Do you need 20 towels penguinbear? We gave some to a local vet before Christmas. Does rolling them take up less room?

justtired Mon 30-Dec-13 09:52:06

ohh can I join please, was hoping there was a thread like this smile

I need to declutter everywhere but my first job isy dc bedroom and the front room of toys. This is where I fail most! I hate to throw anything away as there is quite an age gap and I normally throw away older dc stuff only to find in a few months, younger dc is in to it. Also if people have brought the things as gifts I hate to get rid. But we are over run with toys and nowhere for the xmas stuff to go. Also I ordered a massive playset to arrive any day confused
Any ideas please?

FreakoidOrganisoid Mon 30-Dec-13 09:52:51

I regularly clear out but it seems to be neverending, despite me not buying my dc ANYTHING apart from birthdays and xmas. Their stuff just seems to breed! I think because they have a lot of craft stuff and then toys with little bits like lego and sylvanians so I just end up with bits everywhere angry

Did some of ds' clothes yesterday and sorted some toys. Didn't actually get rid of much apart from the hotwheels and some tshirts but reorganising it helped with space.

Need to do their pants socks and pjs and my tops next. Also my ktchen is reaching levels of doom so could do with sorting that out. What does everyone do with the not used often but useful stuff? For example the big casserole dish that I barely ever use but is great for when I either have people staying or want to batch cook. Or the glass bowls that get used pretty much only at bbqs or parties...

PenguinBear Mon 30-Dec-13 09:58:01

We probably don't need 20 no blush we probably need about 12 (2 each) but we Have more as DP doesn't like me to use the tumble dryer and they take are to air dry on the airier and he won't ever reuse a towel or flannel hmm

IsThatTrue Mon 30-Dec-13 09:58:32

I'm in. We move in a couple if months (currently renovating the new house) i do not want clutter in the new house. The dcs amused themselves for 4hrs in an empty room down there last week. They can't do 40 minutes here with a room full of toys. So I'm culling.

DH and I have both done our wardrobes. I need to attack dcs wardrobes at some point. I've done ds2s toy box before (and after) Christmas so there's only things he plays with/will grow into.

Right now ds2 is asleep on my lap and I can't do anything.

SlatternismyChristmasname Mon 30-Dec-13 11:34:23

Is it too late to sneak in?

I always try and join in these threads but still have a house full of crap stuff.

I will report back later my lack of progress.

missmapp Mon 30-Dec-13 12:38:50

Well done all!!

I need to do my wardrobe, but keep putting it off. My parents are down today for new year, but will do it before i go back to work on the 6th-it will be done!!!

I did a lot of clothes decluttering before Christmas - 3 different trips to the clothes charity bins with at least 4 bags each time - I now keep can see things in my wardrobe that I can wear instead of a whole lot of crap I have to sort through each morning before work.

Freakoid one tip I read (but haven't done yet) is to clean on top of your cupboards, line with several layers of newspaper (so that when it gets dirty, you just peel off the top layer) and put the seldom used but useful stuff up there in sealed plastic boxes (so the stuff remains clean).

AngryBirdRoast Mon 30-Dec-13 14:00:43

Hi Justtired, I think the best thing I ever did with the toys was separate them into plastic boxes with lids - so that everything is in its proper set, with all its bits.

And then only have maybe one random tub of toys that gets sorted through once in a while.

It doesn't work perfectly but when you have a toy no one uses much, it tends to stay in its box for ever, and then at least you know you've got all the pieces when/if someone does eventually want to use it.

AngryBirdRoast Mon 30-Dec-13 14:01:22

Btw we have a big age gap too so I am like you and hang on to the things that have been outgrown. It's a good thing to do I think.

SlatternismyChristmasname Mon 30-Dec-13 15:54:59

Just having a break after having a rattle at my bedroom. No decluttering as such but I have tidied everything off the floor and given it a home. The room looks twice as big with the floor cleared.

All the packaging from Christmas presents into the recycling.

Some of the kids presents put away to be brought out in a few months time and they will feel like new.

justtired Mon 30-Dec-13 17:05:14

Thanks Angrybirdsmile Well I have been to the tip, taken all the xmas presents out of bags and have either given a home to it or put it in the right room. I have also cleaned the kitchen completely from our 2nd xmas day yesterday.

not too bad grin

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Mon 30-Dec-13 17:15:30

Lots of new people!! Hello, everyone!

I have been hard (ish) at it since 9am. 12 bags to the charity shop, a bag each to two friends and a few bags into the rubbish/recycling!!

Surely, after all that, I should see some improvement confused...also, most of it came out of the kitchen blush.

Ds brough a good bagful out of his bedroom but we're going to go up there after tea and Mary Poppins to try and get it properly straight.

I can feel my remaining days off slipping away without the house being how I'd hoped. My biggest priority is getting my paperwork in order and is what I'm going to concentrate on tomorrow.

Well done, everyone!

silkknickers Mon 30-Dec-13 19:51:04

one bag of clothes for the charity shop and one bag of paperwork to be chucked.
Not much compared to many of the posters here, but it feels pretty good to me smile

patchesmcp Mon 30-Dec-13 20:02:55

I've sorted through DS's books and tidied and cleaned our bedroom and sorted our bedside tables. Got rid of a bag of rubbish from the bedroom. Haven't done the wardrobe or chest of drawers yet though, which will no doubt be a big job sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now