I need an amazing vacuum cleaner - what do you recommend?

(34 Posts)
Grockle Sat 28-Dec-13 14:27:11

Must be:

powerful
good with dog hair & sand, mud from little boys
long cord
large capacity (preferably bagless, I think)
store tools on board
not too heavy (I have ME so get very tired very quickly)

I loved my Miele pull along one but got fed up with the small bag filling up with dog hair every time I used it. I replaced it with a pull along Hoover which is ok but nothing is as good as my original, British made Dyson DC01.

Aaliyah1 Mon 30-Dec-13 21:04:24

Kirby or Miele wink

Cosmos123 Mon 30-Dec-13 20:29:09

Miele cat & dog

olivo Mon 30-Dec-13 20:08:09

We ve just ordered a lightweight vax from amazon. We currently have a days on but the suction seems to have gone,a plus it seems really heavy for carting up and down all the stiars.

princessalbert Mon 30-Dec-13 20:02:45

Yes to SEBO bags lasting a while.

I have had bagless for the past few years, but this one has bags and I much prefer it. I have only changed the bag twice - in umm 6 months?

princessalbert Mon 30-Dec-13 20:01:40

I bought a SEBO upright a few months ago, after being recommended one on here.

I love it. Only as pricey as a Dyson, but far more effective imo.

It is heavy though, so not great for hefting upstairs.

MuttonCadet Mon 30-Dec-13 20:01:31

I love my Mercedes 1117 upright, very strong suction, light and small.

PigletJohn Mon 30-Dec-13 19:56:48

I wash the filters so I can swap for a clean one every time I change the bag, and sponge out the inside of the cavity usually when I change the bag. Occasionally I wash the hose and snouts in the sink. It all helps keep then fresh. No dog now.

Grockle Mon 30-Dec-13 17:11:12

Emptying a Hoover is horrible but if prefer to do that than have old dog smell everytime I vacuum like I do now (& with old Miele cylinder too) - that's why I want a bagless one. I don't even have a particularly smelly dog but my Hoover smells hmm

BananaNotPeelingWell Mon 30-Dec-13 11:01:51

Emptying a Dyson is grim and makes me wheeze. Dyson seem to bang on about bagless as being a wonderful thing, but it's def not imo. Yes you have to buy bags for a SEBO but they last a long time and are clean and easy to change.

FairyPenguin Mon 30-Dec-13 10:58:01

Also, the SEBO I have uses bags and I now wonder why on earth I put up with emptying a bag less Dyson for so long. That was so grim.

BananaNotPeelingWell Mon 30-Dec-13 10:57:18

Exactly what Chocroak says. I had a Dyson for years and a Hoover before that. Then I got my SEBO about a year ago. The others dont really deserve to be mentioned in the same category.

FairyPenguin Mon 30-Dec-13 10:57:02

I bought a Sebo on the recommendation of a carpet cleaning company. It is FANTASTIC, so much better than the Dyson we had before. The only thing is I think it might be too heavy for you? Mine isn't as heavy as the Dyson but still...

Chocrock Mon 30-Dec-13 10:54:22

SEBO is the best vacuum cleaner I have ever had, much better than the many Dysons I have tried over the years

Grockle Mon 30-Dec-13 10:53:59

If uprights are better why are almost all of which?'s best buys cylinders? I miss my upright hoovers!

PigletJohn Mon 30-Dec-13 10:50:14

If you have dirty carpets an upright is better than a cylinder. The beeters and whirling brush get out the mud, grit, hairs, flea eggs.

Have tried Sebo but prefer Mile upright. It is more expensive than a cylinder.

mersea208 Mon 30-Dec-13 10:40:13

How can you prove if your vacuum cleaner is picking up all the stuff or not? Have an upright Dyson approx. 10 yrs, a old smelly dog with short but wiry fur, loop pile carpet, vinyl floors and live in a bungalow. There seems to be a fair amount in the clear collecting bin after vaccing and DH has given the vac a clean out today. Also have a steam mop that I use once a week on vinyl and now & again on carpets. But not sure if a new vac would pick up more. Carpets are professionally deep cleaned every year (they are cream and one is pale green). Trying to justify a trip to Currys.

spiderbabymum Sat 28-Dec-13 19:41:29

Miele cat and dog

Grockle Sat 28-Dec-13 19:00:23

Oh, I lie... there is a sebo at the bottom of their bestbuy list, along with 2 dysons. I don't know why my vacuum cleaners seem so crap.

Grockle Sat 28-Dec-13 18:59:01

Interesting, thank you.

It turns out my current hoover is actually a Bosch & is the Which best buy. My old Miele is 2nd best buy. So why do they both seem to struggle with pet hair?

Do Which? not test SEBO or Henrys because they're not mentioned at all.

Oddsocksrus Sat 28-Dec-13 18:14:21

We have a hetty because the filters are better and you get far more collected.
We have three cats and two dogs as well as a gardener dh and a dd4, it is no problem at all.
The round shape is more cumbersome than heavy and it is certainly lighter than the dyson upright it replaced (.which wasn't that good with the dust bunnies and as awful on the stairs)
Ours is nearly 10 years old and going strong, when it dies I will def get another

mousmous Sat 28-Dec-13 18:09:30

bosch gl 30
small and light.
very very powerful.
yes it's small and the bag is as well, but no-name replacement bags are cheap and they are very easy to change and unlike bagless not messy at all.

RustyHalo Sat 28-Dec-13 18:08:56

Another vote for Henry. Mine is about 20 years old and still works brilliantly. Great at clearing pet hairs off the furniture.

OatcakeCravings Sat 28-Dec-13 18:05:26

I have a Henry and compared to my previous Dyson it is total crap. I have no idea why anyone thinks its good. Get a Dyson! As soon as my Henry breaks (and I'm going to help it die) I'm going to hot foot it to tbe shop and buy a Dyson!

ChippingInLovesChristmasLights Sat 28-Dec-13 18:01:37

I was going to say Henry as I love mine, I wouldn't ever be without one - they suck up anything and everything, are great with hair etc, but they don't have tools on board and they aren't light.

Some people will say they are terrible & fall over - tbh I'm not sure what they do with them to make them fall over fgrin

bumbumsmummy Sat 28-Dec-13 17:59:23

Dysons or a Sebo

If you could ever find one the old Kirkby cleaner could Hoover the pattern off laminate

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now