December already! Fledgings will sleigh the pre-Christmas clutter (and eat all the mince pies)

(1000 Posts)
GoingGoingGoth Sat 30-Nov-13 19:04:35

If you are strugging with C.H.A.O.S. (can't have anyone over syndrome) and S.T.U.F.F. (something that undermines family fun) then this is the thread where we (loosely) follow the step-by-step Flylady housekeeping system (in our own, unique, relaxed style) with lots of chat, support brew, wine and cake along the way.

This little-and-often system is designed so that you can follow a series of steps and routines each day (which gradually become second nature) in zones of the house which are designated weekly; defining and minimising housework - which in theory should leave you with loads more time to do someting more interesting instead!

At the same time it is intended to reduce that panicky "rabbit in headlights" feeling when you are overwhelmed and everything needs doing all at once. No problem if you miss a day or two; just jump right back in and it will all come around next month again!

We advise not signing up to receive the Flylady e-mails as you will be inundated! All the information you need will be linked here on a daily basis.

From the first of the month, we will be following Flylady's steps and routines using a three-pronged approach (dependent on the stage everyone is at):

- start or repeat baby steps

- repeat baby steps + do 15 mins a day decluttering in the current zone

- reinforce babysteps and do daily missions if you have finished decluttering.

[And if you are really enthusiastic and have finished decluttering - you can go on to detailed deep cleaning in each zone.]

More info here on getting started and Flying lessons. Here's the launch pad for more experienced fledglings. Don't be put off by the barf-tastic language of the site - the underlying system is sound!

Thanks to BlueEyeshadow and SlimChance for the November thread. thanks

All welcome!! And remember that December is the new January! grin

BitchytheGreat Sun 01-Dec-13 12:31:55

ta da
piss about on the internet
1 load washing in machine
remove body from bed where it was happy and comfortable and get breakfast.
waste more time on internet whilst pottering in room.
gather laundry at bottom of stairs ready for getting through washing machine

I will have to confess i have yet to get dressed, and i still want to crawl back into bed. Next job more coffee showers and clothes and then perhaps the wish to sleep will be less persistant?

Castlelough Sun 01-Dec-13 13:41:30

Good morning all and happy December! smile

Thank you Blue and SC for leading in November!

After an absolutely woeful and stressful November I'm hoping for a merrier December. I never caught up on the November thread <apologies>, but am looking forward to tackling December with renewed energy and keeping up with the thread!

Ta Da:

* Renewed spirit by going to church/mass (and managed to get roped into the choir for the Christmas Carol service, which I think will be a lovely thing to be involved in leading up to Christmas smile)

* Called in to see DMiL who hasn't been at all well and who is much improved today.

* Spent the past hour and a half lazily arsing about...blush

To Do:
* Brunch
* Laundry - two loads
* Bring homemade soup to DMiL
* Tackle the ironing mountain
* Recycling
* School prep
* Piano practice
* 15 mins decluttering in the spare room
* Room rescue in the bedroom
* Supper
* Evening routine and early night

1Madhouse Sun 01-Dec-13 13:50:44

Had a productive (ish) morning. Up with DD2 at 5.30 but luckily she fell back to sleep till 6.30. Up dressed and both of us fed. 2 loads of washing in and hung on airer. School uniforms x2 ready. Kitchen quick clean and hoovered and mopped all downstairs. Dog walked. Car picked up from pub car park and a quick emergency shop.
It's amazing when you write it down how much you do.
Going to have a lazy afternoon I think.
Oops apologies as not written as a ta da list !!

BitchytheGreat Sun 01-Dec-13 13:53:33

madhouse it matter not if it is written as a ta da list or not. Enjoy the lazy afternoon.

ta da
2nd load washing in machine
gather laundry at bottom of stairs ready for getting through washing machine and move to washing machine
shower and get up
empty bath of snakes, spiders and sharks
look at poorly plant and think it really summarises a lot of things atm sad
catch up with some good friends
consider the exercise and diet plan

About to change washing machine, crawl in the loft and do something else that isn't paperwork sorting blush

CallingAllEngels Sun 01-Dec-13 13:54:44

Here here castle - I definitely need to start the month afresh!

Ta da
Meat slow cooking for dinner tonight and pie tomorrow
Playground
2 loads of washing (in td now)
Skyped DM and called best friend

ToffeeWhirl Sun 01-Dec-13 14:33:47

Up at 6.30 with DS2, but went back to bed again at 10 and slept till midday. Feeling very tired today. Had the flu jab yesterday and am wondering if it's knocked me out a bit.

Visiting poorly friend later, but, apart from that, am doing bugger all. Oh, have thrown some food scraps in the direction of the DC grin.

Castlelough Sun 01-Dec-13 15:04:39

Mad, Bitchy and Engels well done on your lists!
Toffee hope you feel better soon.
Bitchy hope you don't fall asleep up there! grin at sharks and snakes in the bath!

BitchytheGreat Sun 01-Dec-13 15:57:01

ta da
2nd load washing in machine
gather laundry at bottom of stairs ready for getting through washing machine and move to washing machine
shower and get up
empty bath of snakes, spiders and sharks
look at poorly plant and think it really summarises a lot of things atm sad
catch up with some good friends
consider the exercise and diet plan
clean hob top <eew>
ironing hollow victory as most is going around a machine atm
folding
wash cast iron pots up
boil up hand warmers so ready for next use
wash up ds' lunch box
put bread in bread machine
turn dough in to bread rolls and leave to rise
Put tins of christmas biscuits away and out of temptation
ds' decorations, christmas books and advent calendars out of the loft
Try to put knee through a door frame
Look at time go oh shit and head off out

to do
look for no#s 23 and 24 for the advent calendar hmm
find the christmas tree and half a ton of christmas stuff I know i have but can't find in the loft.

GoingGoingGoth Sun 01-Dec-13 16:02:29

Nice to see some relaxation going in, as well as some fantastic lists.

Just found this weekly pamper mission it's a good one.

Got up early-ish (for a Sunday) and had a nice walk through the park with DD, feeding the squirrels before heading off to the cinema to watch Planes.
Then got a bit of Christmas shopping done.

Done
Changed bedding
Laundry on

To do
Dry laundry away
Dinner

BBL with links etc. tchgrin

Slimchance Sun 01-Dec-13 16:03:35

Hello! Just parking my bunions for tomorrow.

Thanks for shiny new thread Goth and for posting Christmas links!!

[Look away for this next bit Alice* wink grin ] (I'm with Honu - I'm afraid my decorations are remaining firmly in their boxes for at least a fortnight or so - last year they didn't make it out until Christmas eve although that was a bit last minute even for me.)
Great idea about the three Christmas cards a day though!!

And I suppose I'm missing the point -as usual underlying theory is sound - just need to do one bit of Christmas prep a day other than Internet shopping.

Was full of good intentions for the 1st of the month but other than getting up at 5.30am to clean the wreck of the kitchen I left festering last night (and then cleaned it again at 9.30 after dh had cooked breakfast), I haven't achieved a great deal at all. I wish I had actually decided to have a day off and enjoy it, rather than making unrealistic plans as usual and failing to do any of them. Not helped by dh who is in a grump and has gone for a drive, leaving me to do all hwk supervision (we rashly picked up work from school on Fri so dd could catch up having been away) because he "needed to get out of the house" having been away travelling all week and out last night too tchhmm while I've been confined to barracks looking after dd all week.

Right, if nothing else, must drag myself off to make soup, use up rest of mince pie filling in something and make spag bol sauce for tomorrow. At least I'll have something concrete to show at the end of it and will probably taste like concrete too given the mood I am in.

A warm welcome to 1Madhouse!!

Sorry you are still feeling rotten Angry - sinus headaches (if that is what you have) are the pits...

A belated happy birthday to your ds Pushme

Ooo - would love to join a choir just for Christmas Castle - sounds lovely!

And good to have you back Doris and to see other familiar names!

Big wing flaps to everyone!

Slimchance Sun 01-Dec-13 16:07:30

Forgot to say, sorry you are feeling under the weather Toffee. Hope sleep does the trick.

Bugger, just looked at your list ¨*Bitchy*. Have forgotten to buy an advent calendar again.

Waves to Goth and proffers liquid sustenance wine

GoingGoingGoth Sun 01-Dec-13 16:20:38

Argh advent calandar!! <runs off to bedroom>

Completely forgot to get DD's out, she has a refillable one from M&S, and luckily I got some chocolate balls from Lidl the other week.

Just marking my spot. I wont promise being around every day, but I will pop in from time to time.

Big waves to everyone. smile

AliceinWinterWonderland Sun 01-Dec-13 16:49:54

SlimChance Whilst I'm recovering from the shock of your lack of Christmas decorations..... grin.... I'll point out that yesterday I put the Christmas tree up and put the lights on it. Today the DCs and I put all the ornaments on it, hung up a couple stockings, and put the tree skirt around the bottom of the tree. Yay!!! tchgrin

Our Christmas Elf Pip also made an appearance, by magic, this morning. Well, to clarify... his magic Elf Christmas Tree door showed up fastened along the baseboard of the (newly painted) wall right next to the tree. He left a little scroll with introductions to the DCs, tied with a gold ribbon to the tree. The little scamp even trailed gold glitter in on his little elfin feet on the floor from his door to the front of the tree. tchgrin

Must catch up a bit. DCs have had their chocolate from the advent box and are now clamouring for tea. Back in a bit. tchgrin <---I never get tired of those.

Rollermum Sun 01-Dec-13 17:56:04

Hi all and thanks Goth for hosting and to Blue and SC last month.

I am still v early days at flying and DD is 10 weeks so v much a case of do what I can when I can.

Ta da (that means done right?)
2 loads washing
Big cook up for the week
Bath DD

To do
Assemble dinner
Wash up

Slimchance Sun 01-Dec-13 17:59:10

tchsmile tchsmile tchsmile Alice (special Christmas ones with hats on and everything just for you!) Bet your tree looks luverly!

I'm hopeless really - it is far better to be ahead - am always woefully behind tchconfused

I'm terribly sorry but I have no idea what an elf on the shelf is either!

Yay to PA!

Ta da:
have made veg soup
stroked rabbits
sorted laundry in to yet more piles
and dh has made spag bol sauce

To do:
mend dd's school pinafore for tomorrow
watch Strictly
make a few mince pies from remaining pastry and mincemeat

[Quite funny the other evening... mince pies are an unknown quantity over here ... spent half the night spelling "emm, ee, nnn, say, er ... miiiinnccceee" ... then made the mistake of trying to explain how they contained meat in medieval times and other things such as liver ...let's just say it didn't seem to increase their popularity.)

Slimchance Sun 01-Dec-13 17:59:54

Rollermum you are doing brilliantly with such a young 'un!

AliceinWinterWonderland Sun 01-Dec-13 18:27:49

SC Actually right now, all the ornaments are towards the bottom of the tree, as DS1 & DS2 decorated it. tchgrin I will be redistributing it tonight. I posted pics of my tree thus far and the elf door on this thread.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/have_you_seen_pictures/1926940-Mumsnetters-Christmas-trees?pg=3

AliceinWinterWonderland Sun 01-Dec-13 18:29:44

I didn't do elf on a shelf, tbh. I couldn't deal with all the posing of the elf and such. We just have a "magical Christmas elf door" that our elf uses to pop back to the north pole to report to father Christmas, and he will leave little notes of encouragement (or warning lol) and treats when they've been especially good. But the DCs will never actually SEE him. Much much easier this way.

ToffeeWhirl Sun 01-Dec-13 19:20:24

That elf door is very sweet, Alice. We are beyond the Father Christmas years, which is half blessing and half a huge relief. However, I have filled a wooden advent drawer with sweets and toys and the boys have a chocolate-filled calendar from a relative too, so they're not doing too badly.

Mum has sent us a Jacquie Lawson online advent calendar, which will keep the boys very happily entertained. The last one continued to entertain DS2 on a regular basis for the rest of this year.

I don't put up decorations or the tree until at most a week before Christmas, if not later.

Bitchy - hope the creatures in the bath have gone now!

PA <waves back>

sc - that seems a bit unfair of your DH, to be honest. Sorry you had another day stuck at home.

Roller - you have a 10-week-old baby <broody emoticon> and are thinking about housework! The two don't go together in my experience grin.

<waves to Castle, Engels, Madhouse, Angry, Silly, WhoKnows and anyone else I've missed>

Feeling a lot better now. Spent a long time with DS2 this afternoon and we had a lovely time. He wanted to make us lunch and had written out a menu, so I helped him make it: three types of sandwiches; green salad sprinkled with lemon juice and grated rind; and homemade lemonade smile. Then we played a game together, which was great fun.

Have done some washing, sorted out school bags for tomorrow and will lay the clothes out before tomorrow. Also managed my own pampering mission by soaking in the bath and conditioning my hair, as well as applying a face mask grin. But will bear the other mission in mind too, Goth, as it just feels good to do something for myself.

Dinner and bedtime routines now...

AngryBuddha Sun 01-Dec-13 21:36:30

Ta da
Clothes for tomorrow for dc
W/m
t/d
School bags
Put clothes away!

That's it!!! Better than nothing!

Alice I am going to steal the elf door on the skirting board by tree idea, with them popping in and out. Love this!!

AliceinWinterWonderland Sun 01-Dec-13 22:13:55

Angry I got it from this website....

www.enchanteddoorways.co.uk/page3.htm

the Christmas doors (there are a few different ones) are towards the bottom of the page.

GoingGoingGoth Sun 01-Dec-13 22:18:03

LINKS FOR 2 DECEMBER 2013

*********************************************************************************
Babystep 2 is to get dressed to laced up shoes. It probably sets you in the right frame of mind, but it's amazing how much I can get done in my dressing gown, if not doing the school run. blush

This week we are in Zone 1 Entrance, Front Porch and Dining Room. Detailed cleaning list here

Monday focus is the Weekly bleugh

December's monthly habit is Pampering.

Today's Flight Plan

Sneak Peek for the week's missions.

Christmas Holiday Cruise Mission 2 is to check your linen. To make sure any bedding is ready for guests, and that table linen, dish cloths and towels are all laundered ready.

Have to confess Christmas is probably the only time I get the table cloths out. Dd thinks I should do it more often (it will happen when she's old enough to iron them)

Just off to do summary

BitchytheGreat Sun 01-Dec-13 22:20:06

www.enchanteddoorways.co.uk/USERIMAGES/CHRISTMAS%20PUDDING.JPG this one makes me think of hobbits.

Saddly ds is beyond this but loving the stories. I have laid down staring at my eyelids for 2hrs. <sigh> could be a long night. I am very tired but can't go to sleep and can't wake up. All a bit of a nightmare.

AngryBuddha Sun 01-Dec-13 22:25:41

Thanks Alice. I am going to have a go making one!! Only because I want it for tomorrow! tchgrin

This thread is not accepting new messages.